Author Topic: lead or leather to hold flint  (Read 3539 times)

Offline flinchrocket

Re: lead or leather to hold flint
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2021, 05:01:32 AM »
If Jim Chambers says not to use lead that is good enough for me. I would think he knows what he's talking about. He is providing the warranty after all
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:13:53 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline satwel

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »
Lead may be appropriate for use in large military musket locks, but as others have previously noted, Jim Chambers has repeated recommended against it's use in his locks.

This is the correct answer. Military locks have thick, robust flint cocks that can withstand the shock lead imparts to the jaws when fired. Slender, graceful civilian rifle flint cocks are more susceptible to breakage from the lack of cushioning that leather provides.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »
Depends on if you lick the powder off the flint between shots. Probably shouldn't be putting lead in your mouth.

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »
Leather.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2021, 06:33:03 AM »
I switch back and forth.  The lead I use has been run over by trains from balls I put on the tracks.  Very thin and trim with scissors to shape.  Very light.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2021, 07:06:51 AM »
 Always leather, notched to span the jaw screw, with the flint notch knapped to straddle the jaw screw. I’ve never found anything better.

Hungry Horse