Author Topic: Black powder accident  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Black powder accident
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
I wanted to post this for two reasons, first to let our members know of this tragic accident and secondly to make you aware of what can happen in the blink of an eye!

I got this email from James Rogers, one of our ALR members that is a friend of the Roope. Troy and his wife Shannon run Stonewall Creek Outfitters in Concord VA. I know some of our members are friends and/or do business with them. Now we need to keep Troy and his family in our prayers.

Troy was badly injured while testing a lock he had been working on Saturday morning. The priming flask exploded in his hand. He has had two operations for skin grafts and pins at UVA. He has lost his left index finger(he's left handed), most of his thumb and part of his middle finger. He was also badly burned on his right hand.
He is back home as of this afternoon.
Keep him and his family in your prayers.

James Rogers
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Black powder accident
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the information, Dennis.  Very bad news indeed, Troy's a great guy and we just saw him at the Winchester show.  Would you happen to have a contact address or someplace to send a card?

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »
Troy Roope
3598 Paradise Road
Concord VA  24538

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »
I met Troy at the Williamsburg show.  My home is not far from his place and I had intended to go see him, but have been stuck in Arlington with work pretty much ever since the show.  I am so sorry this happened.  When I was in the Navy, black powder was considered to be the most dangerous thing they had on board the ship. 

Jim,  do you know any details about what could have caused the accident?  What kind of flask was it?  Could it have been static electricity? 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »
Wow, what a shame. UVA is a great hospital and they'll take good care of him.  I hope his recovery goes well.

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:24:33 PM »
I had posted a reply earlier and it must have gotten lost in cyberspace...my condolences to him--and I also am interested in details of how this happened, so that others may avoid it.  I sometimes prime from the main horn [traditional] but it may contain upwards of a pound of powder and many consider that dangerous. On the other hand, the little brass chargers seem like little grenades....what is safe?  what happened?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:57:41 PM »
Terrible.  I think I met them at Dixons, very nice friendly folks, very helpful.  Will pray for recovery and for friends and family nearby to help out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:09:17 AM »
I met both Troy and Shannon at Dixon's 2 years ago.  They are both very wonderful people.  Top shelf.  I am saddened to here of this tragic accident.  I am sure there are many friends coming together to help them out in their hour of need.  They will be in my prayers.
DMR