Author Topic: Ian's New Rifle  (Read 7193 times)

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Ian's New Rifle
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
Fine Honaker inspired rifle by Mr. Pratt on the Blog spot.  It speaks for itself.  Some of his finest work to date. 

Someone asked where Ian has been on one of the other posts - now we know where!

You outdid yourself on this one Ian.  Amazing stuff.

Guy

lew wetzel

Re: Ian's New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
yes that is one fine rifle....nice work ian...the wrought iron furniture is truly awesome...

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:46:57 PM »
I was fortunate to be able to see the Rifle at the CLA. A fine and different style of Rifle you dont see much of. The owner should be proud.
" not all who wander are lost"

Sean

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:10:35 PM »
Ian,

I've kinda gotten out of southern rifles, but your work keeps dragging me back.  Great stuff.  You keep getting better and better at it, too.

Sean

Offline RobertS

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:04:40 AM »
That's a real beauty, and not too much like anything else I've seen, but not too far out either.  I'd say it's just right!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 06:31:28 AM »
Very cool Ian. Love the box with reversed riveted hinge.  Usually this looks crude but in this case it works. The stock shape is odd and dramatic, and again you bring it off. This is what art is about.

Birddog6

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:47:30 PM »
Thank is one " Awesome "  Rifle   :o !!  Fantastic job Ian  !!  
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:48:42 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »
Honaker family rifles can have some real unusual architecture and decoration - they didn't seem to feel bound by any prevailing constraints on style. 

There is an Abraham Honaker piece shown in Whisker that has a  feature, the only way I can describe it would be sort of a "reverse step" on the toe line of the gun - that is, the toe steps up as you head toward the buttplate.   And they seemed equally adept at iron, brass and silver work.

This rifle does a nice job of capturing the feel of some of the best ones.

Guy

eagle24

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:53:56 PM »
Ian,

Wow!  I think this one just moved to my favorite.  Awesome rifle!

Offline acorn20

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 01:56:28 AM »
Ian,

What a gorgeous rifle!  That gun is truly an "Iron-Mounted Maiden!"  You've detailed the gun beautifully.  The only thing I wish that could have been different would have been my initials in the thumbpiece!  Great job.

Dan
Dan Akers

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 03:44:31 AM »
Hey Dan,

My initials happen to be on the thumb piece, but I don't think that means anything.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:47:44 AM »
Hey, I heard a rumor you all were talking about me. Thanks for the compliments on the rifle, this is a style that is somewhat overlooked by many builders and I plan to explore them some more.
  Over the past few years I have had the good fortune of being able to handle and examine several originals of this type. They are definitely unusual. Some are architecturally more pleasing than others, and some have certain features that stick out as remarkable over most of the rest of the gun. The fun of it all is to try to pull some of those best elements together and still end up with something that "makes sense".  
  Apart from the obvious, beat you over the head variety of unusual features, there are many details on these guns that set them apart. One you won't see from the outside is the set trigger mechanism. They are set up essentially backwards from what you might expect . The mainspring is a flat leaf mounted to the front of the plate, catching the underside of the rear trigger blade. The spring is slotted for the front trigger to pass through - more commonly the spring would be a "J" shape rather than slotted. The front trigger return spring is stacked below the mainspring, mounted by the same screw. This arrangement does not allow for a mounting bolt from the barrel tang, what you usually see is the tang mounted to the stock with wood screws and the triggers retained by the guard.
   Here is a picture of the triggers while in progress. The green color is a reflection off a t shirt I need to throw away

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:50:12 AM by Pratt »

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 06:19:11 AM »
Ian, that is pretty darn cool. I wouldn't have mentioned that was a reflection from my  shirt though.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »
Ian,
Beautiful work as always.  The style isn't my cup of tea but even with me not liking it I have to say you did a great job putting it all together and pulling it off.  It's a very visually appealing rifle.  I love the trigger!  Thanks for posting the picture of that little detail we would have missed. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.