Author Topic: What does my flash channel look like?  (Read 4163 times)

C. Cash

What does my flash channel look like?
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »
Pardon my ignorance on this...but wondering if someone can help me visualize what the flash channel looks like in my Early Lancaster Flintlock?  It has a Green Mountain barrel.  Is there an elbow in the flash channel that goes to the main charge, or does the flash channel hole go straight to the combustion chamber?  I'm pretty sure this is how my CVA Kentucky was as well at the TC Renegade(had the elbow), but wondering what this flint system looks like...how it enters the barrel.  Just can't visualize it,  and I think I could be more efficient with my cleaning if I knew.  Thanks!  

PS:  I use one of those RMC channel brushes for the touch hole, which seems to work OK.   A pipe cleaner is difficult to get in.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:46:22 PM by C. Cash »

Daryl

Re: What does my flash channel look like?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »
Does your rifle have a patent breech?  If so, it probably has a cupped breech-end, with the vent threading out to that. There should be no corners, anywhere in a flint.  If the vent liner is threaded into the side of the barrel itself, in front of the plug as should be, then there is a straight flash into the powder. If there is no vent liner, the drilled hole goes straight through the barrel's wall into the powder.

C. Cash

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
Thank you Daryl!  That makes sense.....no just has the standard breech plug/tang and a sort of welded in flash hole liner.  So, now I won't be shoving the brush any farther after I feel the opposite barrel wall.  I thought I was just hitting the end of the flash channel as it bent towards the chamber and I was shoving it down much further.  Very much appreciate the help! 

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »
Huh - welded-in vent liner-?  Don't know what shape you might have, C. Cash. - "bending towards the chamber" You can get a brush into the vent hole?

C. Cash

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »
Maybe I'm mistaken about the welded part....it looks like any vent liner I guess but I thought the builder said it was kind of tacked into position some how by a welder.  The brush is put out by RMC(owner of OxYoke), but they stop making them.  They are very thin...smaller than a pipe cleaner and work well.   I use it along with the flush out system by TOW.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 02:51:51 AM »
I see - now, if this brush wants to turn - toward the muzzle, it may be the flash channel is behind the breech plug and the plug has a groove filed into it's face to allow the vent accress to the rear of the plug and therefore the powder charge.

C. Cash

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:02:05 AM »
That is sure possible...I think I will pull the lock and shine a light in from the flash hole to see, and if that doesn't work then I will email the builder.  If the light is stongest in the center then it would come in through the plug.   I know this is trivial but trivial things bother me if I can't figure them out!  Thanks again for the input Daryl....much appreciated.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 06:15:32 AM »
Maybe I'm mistaken about the welded part....it looks like any vent liner I guess but I thought the builder said it was kind of tacked into position some how by a welder.

Is this safe?  A tack weld vent liner.  Just wondering?

C. Cash

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 07:20:45 AM »
I will clarify this with BJ...I'm sure he does it the right way.  Thanks fellas.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:54:48 PM by C. Cash »