Author Topic: Ferguson gas leakage.  (Read 2484 times)

Offline lexington1

Ferguson gas leakage.
« on: June 21, 2021, 03:40:48 AM »
I finally shot my Narragannsett Ferguson rifle. I don't believe it had ever been fired before. Is it ok for it to leak gas as shown in the picture? This is mostly black gooey lube from the threads in the breech. I used 50/50 Crisco and Beeswax. I noticed no leakage on top at all. I will have to say that I was most pleasantly surprised at how well it shot. I used approx. 55 grains behind a .648 ball. I need to make a short starter of some sort to make sure the ball is seated in the throat, as my fat fingers couldn't get into the chamber very well. I had my daughter push the ball in, but she probably won't want to do it every time I shoot it. I only fired 15 shots, but had no problem with the action binding at all. I have read that sometimes Fergusons were a little slow in ignition, but this one is pretty fast.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Ferguson gas leakage.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 02:16:16 PM »
Hi,
I will get a little gas leakage from the top that I can actually feel on my forehead.  I also get build up of fouled lube on the bottom but no leakage of gas that I notice. The threads are tapered such that they are tightest above the powder chamber to make a better seal.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »
A clever mechanism that can refinish its own stock ;D.Does anyone know how many unusual attempts were actually made and patented to get around the simple loading rod?There are a wide variety of caplock breech loaders that are still being reproduced
and the Sharps and Smith come to mind but they are one short step from a center fire.I have heard of some really weird ones from Europe but never any pictures.
Bob Roller

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 05:42:29 PM »
Hi,
I will get a little gas leakage from the top that I can actually feel on my forehead.  I also get build up of fouled lube on the bottom but no leakage of gas that I notice. The threads are tapered such that they are tightest above the powder chamber to make a better seal.

dave

After cleaning it I believe that the mess is actually a little bit of gas leakage at the bottom, but mostly just lube that heated and then got squished from the turning of the guard when I was opening and closing the breech.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 10:16:40 PM »
Whoa!  When I first read the thread title I started to post; "just don't get in the car with this guy, Ferguson".  Uuhh...well I guess I DID post it.  ;D

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 11:08:24 PM »
The Ferguson Rifle is very much like the groom that dies of a heart attack on his honeymoon. Being short lived negates many of the faults that would no doubt become evident with more time. You don’t want to marry that young widow, and have to compete with perfection, and you should be wary of what’s waiting down the road with a Ferguson rifle for the same reason.
 Many of the breechloaders of the civil war turned out to have such serious problems that they never were a viable service weapon.

Hungry Horse

Offline lexington1

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 01:37:39 AM »
Don't read anything into it. I think it's pretty darn cool. I was just curious what type of gas problems others with Fergusons have experienced. I went back and looked at some video that my daughter made of it in super slow motion and I actually can't see it leak.

Offline Penske

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 03:12:57 AM »
Ferguson rifles are very particular about the lube for the breach plug. You should try some tallow to lube the breach. Ferguson and his riflemen were know to scrounge all the mutton tallow they could find to lube their rifles. Looks like your lube is melting out of the grooves.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 09:54:04 PM »
I think you are right. I will try it!

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 04:14:11 PM »
Any time you wish to post more photos of your Ferguson, I for one would be most appreciative, Mr. Lexington. Fascinating rifles. I have not yet seen one in the flesh.

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 03:33:12 PM »
I had one of the same rifles about 15 years ago. It walk into a LGS along with an estate of about 50 assorted and eclectic firearms. I picked it up for a song. When it was fired the leakage around the top of the breech peppered my forehead pretty good. After several rounds I decided it really wasn’t for me and traded it to a fellow for three assorted fusils. Even after I related my experience to him. He still just HAD to have it. All ended up happy.

I’m glad you are enjoying your rifle!!!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
Hi Badenpowell,
Here is a version I built using TRS parts but my own English walnut stock blank.  It follows the ordnance rifle in the Morristown Historical Museum closely but for 2 details.  I shaped the side plate panel more like those found on civilian and officer's versions of the rifle (e,g. the de Peyster gun) and the stock finishing is better than the original.

dave

attleboro animal shelter

Offline lexington1

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 08:04:05 PM »
Wow Dave. I wish my Ferguson was as nice as yours. Thanks for posting the pics.

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 12:14:22 AM »
Dave, thank you for putting up the excellent photos. Your stockwork and finishing look impeccable. The Ferguson has to be one of the most interesting designs of the muzzleloading era. Is the gas leakage from the top of the breech common on all examples?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 01:44:19 AM »
Hi Badenpowell,
I don't know if leakage is the same for all modern made breeches but I suspect yes.  It simply would require threads too tight to completely prevent it and that would jam the action with fouling.  Nonetheless, it is not a problem for accuracy or shooting comfort.  I just wear a hat and I find the gun is very accurate out to 100 yards.  I cannot speak to further distances. The fatal weakness of the Ferguson was not fouling or gas leakage.  It was that there was so little wood left in the stock at the breech and behind the lock, that the stocks on any surviving examples showing battle wear are broken through the lock area.  Too many went out of service for repairs.

dave

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 04:42:59 AM »
I built a Ferguson about a decade ago now. (Original thread     https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6184.0  )  Wonderful gun to shoot and I don't get the kind of gas leakage shown in your pictures.  Most of the leakage is out of the top of the breech screw and not out of the bottom where the trigger guard attaches.  But whether it leaks top or bottom, I really enjoy shooting mine....

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 05:34:48 PM »
Very nice example, davec2. Good to hear that you enjoy shooting it -- and that it is accurate. Whose barrel did you use? I read the thread you linked to, and mercy sakes it has deep rifling.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 06:54:56 PM »
Badenpowell,

The parts I used all came from The Rifle Shoppe....and yes, the rifling is pronounced... ;)
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780