Author Topic: Rust  (Read 3526 times)

Offline kutter

Re: Rust
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2021, 01:15:32 AM »
If they are Petroleum Oil based,,they will usually have Mineral Oil in them as that is the most common highly refined Petro Oil there is.
There are many grades of mineral oil for specialized uses.

Rem-Oil  uses it along with mineral spirits and some other additives. Some are petro, some are synthetic.
CLP is all synthetic,,no Mineral oil or Petro oil at all.
Ballistol is Mineral oil (medicine grade) , alchohol, Oleic Acid (alkaline salts,,likely from Sodium ), and that love it or hate it smell from
Anise or Aniseed extract. .

Some others use Teflon and other additive ingredients.
Marketing claims are all over the map. Every one of them is the very best there is of course.

One will prove to be the best choice for an individual after some experimentation. But everyone will usually come to a different conclusion.
Just like what's the best patch lube.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2021, 01:25:49 AM »
Kutter, new CLP is all synthetic. The stuff I've had since the 80s isn't.

You are correct. Everyone always comes to a different conclusion.
Psalms 144

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2021, 02:36:05 AM »
I don't get any rust on my firearms anymore. I no longer use any oil on the outside metal, I use Johnson's paste wax. I started using it over 10 years ago and haven't seen any rust since and it gets pretty hot and humid down here in Dixie.
Before hunting season I put a heavy, double coat on my hunting guns. When I come in from a hunt I buff it down hard with a clean cotton cloth, all the finger prints go away and the rifle is protected. If the rifle is very wet from rain I dry it and then apply another coat. It protects the wood also and both get waxed together.
Of course inside the barrel and lock I still use oil.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline yulzari

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »
I have just been reading a 19th century book on wildfowling and punt gunning in marine estuaries. You don’t get a more rust promoting environment than that and he protected his guns with Vaseline. But then Vaseline is basically a refined cosmoline.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Online Daryl

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2021, 09:57:38 PM »
According to Mr, Knight, Vaseline is petroleum wax, which is why, when mixed with beeswax, makes a terrific black powder bullet lube,
whereas petroleum oils and greases are not compatible.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2021, 11:41:08 PM »
Vasaline is a paraffin grease. It, mineral oil and paraffin wax are in the paraffin family. Paraffin wax was actually used by some ammunition contractors during our Civil War for pistol and carbine ammo. The old type isn’t exactly like you find in the grocery store. The modern kind has made a little stiffer.

A short history of Vasaline
https://medium.com/knowledge-stew/the-interesting-history-of-vaseline-aka-petroleum-jelly-4869e5a6d6e
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:51:46 PM by Clark Badgett »
Psalms 144

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2021, 12:25:18 AM »
Jusr remember that sweat from the human body makes rust on iron. Do have wet or dry hands.

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2021, 01:00:09 AM »
200 years ago, when our ancestors lives depended on their firearms, What did they use back then? Surely not animal fat.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2021, 06:28:29 AM »
200 years ago, when our ancestors lives depended on their firearms, What did they use back then? Surely not animal fat.

Most likely animal fat.
Psalms 144

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
tallow mixed with wax??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2021, 04:09:01 PM »
 200 years ago..? Maybe whale oil ?  Seriously possible.
 Oldtravler

Offline yulzari

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2021, 09:28:59 PM »
The old means to preserve barrels in long term storage or trans oceanic shipping by sailing ships was to fill and cover them with mutton tallow. Worked a treat it appears. Possibly not the daily care solution though…….
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie