Author Topic: Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.  (Read 7635 times)

Offline 44-henry

Re: Recommend a bandsaw for home shop.
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2021, 02:47:26 PM »
I have two Powermatic 81 bandsaws which are 20" saws in my university lab and also a 14" Delta. We keep them well tuned with blades to match specific tasks. At home I have a well tuned Shopsmith Mark V with the bandsaw fitted currently with a 1/2" 4 tpi blade from Timberwolf. This combination works perfectly for my needs and the whole Shopsmith setup takes up minimal space. I do not feel at any dissadvantage with this setup over what I have at the University for the size work I do. Considering I work out of my basement in two 10' x 10' rooms the compact size of this system is ideal. I have seen similar units with the bandsaw sell for less than $300 in my area. Not bad for a machine that can be converted to most types of tools found in a well equipped woodshop but takes up less room than a standard wood lathe.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2021, 04:13:29 AM »
I just did a search for the Shopsmith and found the machine to be a top notch saw for my needs.  I should have noted the fellows name the did a video about one.  It seems the Shopsmith was the bandsaw selected for the Japanese to copy an exploit as their own after the War.  Then the Taiwanese did the same,  and then China followed suit.  That alone says how highly the Shopsmith bandsaw was regarded.  They reversed engineered the original but changed materials not fully understanding the engineering aspect of selected metal.  They ended up with low quality saws.  The conversion aspect regarding the Shopsmith is masterful.  WOW what a terrific idea having a woodworkers shop in less than 60".  In my case I'm not sure I could get the cut I need for a long rifle trimming down the sides.  More research on my end.  By the way folks we're talking about a machine from the 50's and perhaps earlier.  Just pure American ingenuity that was years before it's time.  Genius!

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2021, 06:18:17 AM »
Any bandsaw cuts you need to make to a longrifle stock can be done with the Shopsmith bandsaw. There are a lot of other useful things you can do with it as well. The drill press function is particularily nice with an aircraft carrier size table complete with fence and miter slots with a variable speed head. At least around here they tend to sell cheap, worth looking on Marketplace or Craigslist for one used.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2021, 03:55:54 PM »
Shopsmith has a seminar?  class?  demonstration? Wed. night 6pm eastern time at: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86980919265  I copied this link.  I'll be there because these Shopsmith are intriguing for sure.  Would you believe I saw an F-16 land on one of those drill press tables?  No.  Well they had to remove the routing bit,  but then they landed one.  Thanks for the reply buddy.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2021, 07:24:31 PM »
The seminar would be nice, but there are so many used machines on the market I wouldn't buy new. An older Mark V is usually pretty easy to find and they can be upgraded to current models if you like easily enough.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2021, 10:10:29 PM »
since this was first posted I bought a timber wolf blade for my 12 in craftsman, what a difference a good blade makes. All you need is light pressure,you don't have to use nearly as much tension on the blade.

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2021, 12:09:30 AM »
I don’t find a bandsaw any more dangerous than a table saw or skilsaw though I suppose the data may not bear that out. Keep your fingers away and the guard/guide down close to your stock. One thing I will say is that if you are not ‘handy’, if you have two left feet and are all thumbs, you should probably hire the work out. My father in law would be hard pressed to borrow a screwdriver from me as I know he will either end up in the ER or put a hole in the Sheetrock that I’ll have to mend. 

As far as safety goes, keeping the guide down as seen below sure goes a long way.

Which bandsaw is this Bob?

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2021, 12:31:39 AM »
Well,  how about a nice little shocker from the Mrs?  After listening to her go on about how I do things for her and her family,  think Mother-In-Law,  and how many men wouldn't do the stuff I do,  I had expected another favor to be asked.  I promised her dad,  my father in law who has since passed on,  to take care of his family to the best of my ability.  I know I'm in good company here on this site with regard to honoring our word.  I just do and do and do whatever is necessary for the health and well being of others.  Like most of us sheepdog type guys we sit in the background with a wary eye and a keen sense of duty never expecting payback but enjoying a safe lifestyle,  which is a wonderful reward in and of itself.  "  Well, honey you are the most difficult of all of us to get a birthday gift for."  " You never ask for anything and how many pairs of running shoes does a guy need?"   "I see you've been looking at bandsaws online?" " How much do they cost?"  Between 5 and 11 hundred I guess.  " So why don't we say $800 and then you'll spend $1200 anyway and get yourself a bandsaw."  OK by me.  So I'm back in the market for a bandsaw.   What size bandsaw would I need to trim the sides off a blank?  I don't know the measurement or what it's called.  When you trim the sides off a blank from forestock to  butt?  The Kibler I have has a distance of 8" from where the barrel sits to the bottom toe.  I need an opening in the saw to cut out the excess.  I hope one of you can figure out what I'm saying because I'm a bit confused.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2021, 01:27:22 AM »
   Going off topic a bit, but only slightly as this seems to have turned into saw safety. There is a company that makes a table saw that WILL NOT cut fingers off. They have videos where someone puts a hot dog on a board and tries to cut it in half. Saw cuts just fine then stops the instant it touches the hot dog.

SawStop

WOW!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2021, 01:29:13 AM »
  Bandsaws are measured by the distance you can cut to the center of a board... Sound confusing?  Not really.  with a 14" bandsaw, you can cut to the center of a 14" piece of wood.  It really means that there is 7" from the blade to the frame.  In any case, a 14" bandsaw should be fine for longrifle work.  These are probably the most popular consumer home shop sized bandsaw.  Jet, Delta, Grizzly, Powermatic, Shop Fox are all decent brands and can be found in your price range. I have a Delta 14" and since I got it I rarely use my table saw. If I were to buy new I would look at the 14" Grizzly.
Good luck,
Kevin

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2021, 02:17:32 AM »
I think the most popular tool when I was growing up was a radial arm saw or a shop fox. I have a 14" Delta which I have had for at least 25 years or more. If I were to build a rifle from a plank I wouldnt be without a bandsaw. If I were to be looking at buying one now I would probably stick with Powermatic General, or possibly Delta but I am not sure you can buy a Delta anymore. Grizzly and Jet make pretty decent machines for the price. Someone told me a long time ago when buying woodworking machines look to buy them once. I don;t skimp on woodworking machines.
Rob

Offline RedRiverII

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2021, 05:02:46 AM »
Has anyone used Beaver Industrial Supply?  I see a hard to beat offer on a Bandsaw and wondered...

Never mind I see many complaints from customers.