Author Topic: Thumbpiece nails  (Read 5004 times)

Offline rallen

Thumbpiece nails
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:55:01 PM »
Here is a question for authenticity? I have an oval coin silver thumbpiece for a NE fowler. What material were colonial thumbpiece nails made of? I have 200 yr old iron that I could fashion nails out of, or where they made of silver as commonly used today?
Thanks
Ryan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Thumbpiece nails
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 12:53:02 AM »
I use Coin silver for nails when I'm nailing down coin silver.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:27:50 AM »
As Mike has said, it is a good plan to make the nails out of the same material as the inlay.  But I have seen silver inlays held down with brass, iron and copper nails as well as silver.  Acer did a short tutorial I think, on making silver nails for his cheek piece inlay on his Jaeger.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »
It depends on the School and time period.  For example, most early and Golden Age Lancaster rifles use steel nails. So does George Schroyer. Virginia rifles from the Shenendoah Valley in the Golden Age, on the other hand, often use silver nails. In addition, they have a head on the surface or are countersunk using the same parameters.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »
For authenticity on this question, I'd listen to B Shipman.
Probably not many people looking at your fowler will know, or give a hoot what type of nail is holding the thumb piece, but you will, and you're the one that counts.
So study pics of NE fowlers and use the appropriate material and head style, and also note the positioning of the nail, or nails on the originals.
I'd answer the question if I knew, but I haven't studied NE guns much.
John
John Robbins

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:06:19 PM »
Most of the later period muzzleloaders had inlays held in with iron nails.   Also, you do not need a "head" on the nail to
hold the piece in the stock.   They were done by drilling a small, appropriate sized hole in the inlay, then taper a brad, or
small finishing nail until it looks like an old phonograph needle....a long taper.  You then pound, carefully, this into the wood until it tightens up on the hole.  If you pound too hard it will created a dimple.  After this, cut if off and file it smooth
with the inlay...........Don

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »
As Don said, you don't Need a head on a nail, but none the less use the style that is appropriate to your fowler.
John
John Robbins

Offline rallen

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 02:47:33 AM »
Thanks guys for the great ideas and expertise. I will take a look at the photographs. I'm going for a look where you can see the nails.
Ryan

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
Ryan, then use steel nails and rust the heads so they show up.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 03:22:38 PM »
     You can get the look of the old dark headed nail by wiping over your silver inlay with a patch with some cold blue on it.   I do this as one of the very last things in the finishing process, just before waxing the stock.  Make sure the inlay is oil and finish free, and then hit it lightly with the cold blue.  The steel nails will suck it right in, and the silver will take on a slightly tarnished look.   Aging inlays 101.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard