Author Topic: My steel butplate  (Read 2860 times)

Offline B.Barker

My steel butplate
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »
Finnished my first two piece but plate. Turned out ok but not sure I'll use it. Trying to get a set of hardware made for a southern rifle for Ian's and Jim Kibbler's class later this year. I thought pipe axes were frustrating this thing almost drove me nuts trying to keep everything square. Its about 4-7/16" tall and 1-3/8" wide with a 4-1/4" heal return.

eagle24

Re: My steel butplate
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »
Looks good to me.  How did you join the two pieces?  Single steel rivet and brazed with brass?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »
Looks good to me.   Any particular style you are going for? I like the look of the ones like this with a bit of length to the heel - it just seems to accentuate the lines.

Guy

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:27:03 PM »
Not really trying to follow any school or particular maker. I've looking at every photo of iron mounted rifles that I can find and looking at all originals I can. I don't like really deep curves and narrow butt plates. I like to keep them 1-3/8" or wider unless it was a petite rifle. I know some old ones have 1-1/8" wide plates but I like them beafier. I'm not trying to duplicate any one rifle so it leaves room personal taste. Its going to be mine so I'm the only one I need to please. Unless my daughter takes it from me. I'm going to make another one from wrought iron and put a little less curve maybe. I used a steel rivet and brazed it with 360 brass. After that I'll start trigger guards.

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
Looks good to me. How wide do you make the blanks for the finished width?

The coupla butt pieces I have made have much more, side to side, radius than yours appear to have. There must be a rule of thumb, that I'm missing, in the dimension of the width of the blank in relation to the width of the finished Butt piece.

Thanks and God bless

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »
JD I started with about a 1-5/8" wide blank.