Author Topic: Smoothbore Turkey Loads  (Read 7195 times)

Joe S

Smoothbore Turkey Loads
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:21 AM »
Shotgun loads that we commonly use were developed for wing shooting, where shot stringing is an important characteristic of the load.  For turkey though, we shoot at a nonmoving or very slowly moving target where the primary considerations is pattern density.

I’m wondering, why not shoot a heavier shot/powder load that we would normally use?  For instance, why not shoot a 10 gauge load out of a 20 gauge?  Am I missing something important here? 

roundball

Re: Smoothbore Turkey Loads
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:46:34 AM »
IMO, there is no reason not to...and speaking only for myself, I pay no attention trying to correlate a ML smoothbore load to any modern load...apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned...its a sturdy steel pipe...as long as normal pressures/safety issues are considered, I load what works best for a given situation regardless of what anybody else does or believes.
I copied this individual's turkey load in my .62cal and its been outstanding for me:

http://members.aye.net/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

Also, speaking only for myself, I pay no attention to references of 'square loads'...ie: "if they're not square loads the loads aren't effective because they'll have longer shot strings for the given gauge diameter and that will automatically create holes in patterns."

However, I look at the excellent performance of a .410 shell with its 1/2oz and see that its matched by its big brother the 3" shell with 11/16oz load...both outstanding performers on my skeet range...no apparent problems with the length of the shot strings or holes on patterns...outstanding on a dove field too.

And consider the .12ga...while its .12ga diameter remains fixed the common set of offerings from every big name shot shell manufacturer contains larger and larger size shot charges in 1/8oz increments all the way up to 2+1/2oz...apparently no worries about long shot strings or holes in patterns there either, whether after turkey, crows, doves, ducks, geese, etc.

So personally, while being safe, I live by the old adage:
"little powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead"

Other's mileage may vary and that's fine...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:50:16 AM by roundball »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:30:58 AM »
For one thing you are missing shooting a proof load every shot by double loading a 20.
If you want a 10 bore than buy a 10 bore.
It will pattern better than an overloaded 20 anyway.
If you need denser patterns try making some paper "shot cups" made like paper cartridges to put the shot in. A wrap or two of 20 pound paper should work glue the seam. Start them in the muzzle then remove the top and push on down with an over shot wad. They will hold the shot together better. Might make them with a tail or rear fins to keep it straight and/or pull it off the shot or what ever.
The shot cup idea is from at least the early-mid 19th century. The British made enclosed wire "baskets" that had a loose enough "weave" to allow the shot the escape. These were said to greatly increase the range of shotguns. Assuming the hype was true.
So try some things before going the overload route it will be easier on the gun and you.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:48:55 AM »
 I'm not getting into this AGAIN. The fellows who are on this site and who have done a LOT of shotgun shooting with ML's than I have, prefer lighter shot loads, ie: 7/8oz to 1oz max in 20 to 1 1/4oz max in a 12. nuf said.

Dave K

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:29:48 AM »
One really needs to work up a load, based on patterning. Of course what works for some may not work for you, but the patterning of YOUR gun is what is most important. I have had real good luck with 1 1/8 oz. of 6's with 2 3/4 dr. of 2F powder in my 14ga. I have patterned 1oz. loads in my 16ga. and 7/8 oz. loads on my 20ga. Always adjust the powder to what the gun likes.  I find for me and what works for me, that many shooters like using more shot than I do, but hey, it works for them! I want a load that only kills on one end of the barrel, not my end of the barrel. ;D When you get a pattern that looks good to you, test that load on a real good tin can like a coffee can or a good tuna can at the max. range your patterning has taught you. If the pellets go through and through, it will break bone and you will get your turkey.....if you do your part.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:44:37 AM »
Good suggestion on using the can for penetration tests, Dave.  Patterning should be done, however on a very large sheet of paper. Count the pellets in, draw a 30" circle around the pattern, then count the pellets in the circle. Look for holes and change loads until there aren't any for several shots.  It's the only way to prevent a lost crip or seemingly missed birds by hitting them with a hole where only one or two or no pellet hits.  My bro's Manton 15 bore patterns best with 1oz. and 2 3/4 drams.

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies gents.  It was a question born of curiosity, nothing else.  I have always liked light loads myself.  I often load 1 oz for my 12 and 7/8 oz for my 16’s.  I expect to kill quail at 35-40 yards with these loads and a skeet 2 or modified choke. A turkey head is about the same size as a quail.

The shot itself often seems to be overlooked.  I have come to use nickel plated shot exclusively for game.  I get better patterns, and there is no question that it kills better.  I have shot all the way through turkey bodies at 35 yards with #6 nickel.

roundball

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:30:04 AM »

"...I'm not getting into this AGAIN..."
"...prefer lighter shot loads..."

Daryl, you're a trip...you definitely don't have to "get into it again"...you make it sound like your opinion is the only one worth considering  ;D

I simply posted my opinions...what "I" prefer...your opinions do not trump mine, your opinions are simply what you "prefer"...that's why they're called opinions...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:56:31 AM by roundball »

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
My 12ga single (actually a 13 bore)  has dropped 6  turkeys in the last two seasons. The load that the gun seems to love is 1 1/4 oz of nickle plated no 6's over an equal volumn of 2Fg Elephant. I tried variations, but this was  best  pattern with my preferred no 6's. Yes, the range that I consider max is short with 6's  at 25yds. Getting a turkey into 'bayonet-range' is my challenge to me. Just find what patterns best with your chosen column  combination; then determine range by the energy necessary with some cushion. Just my thoughts.
Gene

Dave K

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »
Joe, I used the 14ga. load I posted in the above post. Another thing to remember is your componet stack. I use a standard over powder card, then a 1/4" thick fiber cushion lubed with olive oil and then a standard over shot card. But I can change my pattern allot by using thicker cushions or thicker/thinned cards. The load I started with was looking at the standard shotgun shell box. All boxes tell what ga. it is, what amount and size of shot and the dram Eq. This information is based on well over 100yrs. of performance, so it can't be real far off. My next step was to find what stack of componets, gave me the pattern performance I wanted. You can change it allot in your pattern, with your componet stack. For turkey, I use NO cushion at all. Yes the fouling is hard, but how many shots are you going to need? Hopefully only one, so getting everything down a clean bore is no problem at all and this componet stack gives me a real tight pattern in this 14ga. SxS with cylinder bores. I was aiming for the head on this turkey and shot him at 30yds. His head was punished. I did not detect any body hits, when the bird was cleaned. But the plain on magnum lead #6's did the job. Patterning this load showed that it should be good to at least 35yds. and I didn't check it beyond that. My load for this gun when shooting doves and clay is 1oz. of 7 1/2's and 2 1/2dr. of 2F. with the componet stack I mentioned earlier in this post.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:17:29 PM by Dave K »

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 12:55:05 AM »
Nice Pelter Dave - is that the original stock refinished, or re-stocked in California English?  It's very similar to my 14 bore rifle's stock.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:55:38 AM by Daryl »

Dave K

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 02:09:03 AM »
Yes, this is a refinished old gun. It was really in pretty good shape, some oil soaking in the head, that concerned me if it was used much, it would crack. On taking it down, there was a hairline crack also between the locks. I soaked it in acetone to remove all the oil, repaired the crack and then it as you see it now. I have been using it hard and very often over the past 6yrs. This gun, for some reason, is my "go to" gun when it comes to shotgunning. It has taken a ton of doves. I know, I refinished an old original gun, but the bruises and ouches had stopped talking long ago and now she speaks often and with authority. ;D

That is a very nice 14 bore rifle stock. Is this a gun you built?

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 02:33:14 AM »
The rifle was a joint effort between my brother and I.  He built the rifle in 1 week, and I took another few days to finish the stock.  It's taken a couple moose and won a fair number of trail walks.

You did a nice job on that shotgun.  I can see why you'd enjoy shooting it. Taylor and I worked up a descent load for his Manton 15 bore with either 1oz. or 1 1/8oz. # 7 1/2 shot.  I think that latter charge of shot, with 2 3/4 drams 2F.  Both barrels pattern just over 70% at 26 yards and make nice, even patterns.  Any more shot, or any more or less powder, leaves patterns with holes of about 4" at 26 yards.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:37:59 AM by Daryl »