Author Topic: A Moravian Riflegun....  (Read 9370 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: A Moravian Riflegun....
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2022, 05:46:14 AM »
I cant add anything that has not already been said. Very nice indeed. I love the way it flows from butt to wrist. I think it will be a super handling hunting gun.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2022, 09:36:11 AM »
Quite inspiring, Ed.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2022, 04:25:59 PM »
 Hi Ed.
         What a nice rifle!   As so many have commented it will make a wonderful hunting gun.   The old German/Swiss makers sure knew what they were doing when they designed this type of rifle.   I am currently working on a similar gun (into first coat of finish) for a client.  I wish I could define my carving as well as you do.  You are an inspiration, keep it up.

Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2022, 05:39:36 PM »
Beautiful work Ed. Each time I look through the pics another detail jumps out at me.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2022, 08:46:36 PM »
  Dag nabbit Ed...IT'S all your fault..!  I keep going back an looking at your newest achievement.
 Well I got a barrel coming and a lock. Me thinks it's going to be a great deer blaster..!
 Thinks for the inspiration ! But I doubt very much it will look like yours. But the deer won't care..lol
  Oldtravler

Offline DavidC

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2022, 10:07:07 PM »
I really like the way the carving around the tang move into the main body of the stock, the sort of slight bevel instead of a rounded edge. What's the deal with the thumbpiece carving? It gives me an eastern impression, like a Japanese kabuki theater mask.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2022, 01:35:11 AM »
Wow…, that’s a blast from the past, built it a couple, three years ago, and thanks!

I fell in love with that rifle the first time I saw the photos.  I’ve been thinking about what to do next, and it might just have to be another rendition of this, but with a longer barrel!

DavidC…, the wrist inlay was pretty much taken from the original.  I’ve seen a similar treatment on other European rifles, either as an inlay, or incorporated into the tang carving.

Thanks again!  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2022, 04:12:49 AM »
Ed, Would you by chance be interested in selling a tracing of this rifle? I would really like to try my hand at one. it is beautiful. Thanks, Bob

Offline RossN

• Starting Member
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2022, 05:29:15 AM »
That is lovely, and I appreciate where you put the rear sight - old eyes suck.

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2022, 04:52:20 AM »
Very nice build! I really like it!
 I have a  Moravian build in the works, But do not have a time line for it. Getting old means getting slow! All things in time! It is based on a Getz 58 caliber coned  muzzle barrel!
Proper lock and proper hardware! Not sure how fancy I will be able to make it! Wanted it fancy but as the years click by, talent gives way to old age!
You are on the right track!
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2022, 05:46:12 PM »
She's a beauty Ed.  Well done!  Nice burlap by the way.....   ;-) 

Offline guido

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2022, 01:00:05 AM »
Beautiful ,precise as always Ed. You've been busy!

Offline Lostreef

• Starting Member
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2022, 02:03:49 AM »
Does anyone know where I can purchase the buttplate used on this rifle?

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2022, 02:57:57 AM »
It is very hard to find original Germanic rifles in Europe with long barrels which have all "longrifle" features. The following is the first one I saw for quite a lot of years which is pre-1740 and has all features:
https://www.bolk-antiques.nl/inventory/long-guns/long-guns-european-other/a-very-nice-and-heavy-antique-german-french-flintlock-target-rifle-signed-iacop-auer-a-sultz-am-necker-near-strasbourg-caliber-18-mm-rifled-length-160-cm-in-very-good-condition-price-4-500-euro-1333029

Super long barrel, rifled, large suitable caliber, front and rear sights with 2 flip ups, set triggers and full stock. Everything a full fledged Jaeger rifle had, but with a long barrel.
Maybe one of the early sniper rifles, who knows?
On the same site, you see lots of rifled barrel guns which have longrifle length as well, but they are looking more like rifled fowlers with no rear sight and some which look like rifle barrels lack the rear sight as well. Don't even have a dovetail, that means they never had one.
Unfortunately they don't state the weight of this rifle with a 48" barrel and about .70 cal.
Sulz am Neckar is about 50 miles from where I grew up and on the gun one can clearly see the French influence (smooth round lock plate and ornamental work) but also the southern German (Austrian) brass style work and an early Jaeger open trigger guard in brass. These guys were heavily influenced by two great styles of flintlock guns.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2022, 03:15:04 AM »
Your work looks amazing. What period rifle would this be?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2022, 09:22:27 PM »
"Your work looks amazing. What period rifle would this be?"

2019.   :-D   LOL.  I couldn't resist!    :-D

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2022, 05:32:05 AM »
"Your work looks amazing. What period rifle would this be?"

2019.   :-D   LOL.  I couldn't resist!    :-D

That’s funny Marc!  Yes, I built this rifle a few years ago…

Bob Gerard…, the rifle is modeled after one featured in Moravian Gunmakers II, European origin.  I don’t remember the time period attributed to the original piece…, 1740’s?  Definitely “early”.

Lostreef…, the butt piece used on this rifle is a modified “Dubbs or Haines”, which can be purchased through Muzzle Loader Builders Supply.

Best,
           Ed

Ed Wenger

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2022, 02:57:37 PM »
Ed Wenger
Your sights look just right to me.  I place all the sights on the rifles I build twelve and a half inches from the breech end, makes no difference how long the barrel is.  Makes more sense to me.  If you can't see the sights you can't shoot them.  You said it was fun to build, the rifle shows it.  I like your story too.  Looking forward to seeing the next one.
David Price