Author Topic: Looking for some welding help  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Jeff64

Looking for some welding help
« on: December 24, 2021, 07:01:55 PM »
Building a TRS lock and realized i drilled the frizzen hole in the lock plate just a bit too low.  Started to file my way out of it, but had a bit of common sense and stopped, how many new problems would this create.  Anyway looking for someone who regularly does lock work who would be willing to weld hole closed.  I'll pay shipping both ways and whatever your rate is, $25-$30 dollars?  Not in a hurry so if someone's looking at doing some welding on their own stuff in the next few of weeks and can lump this in I'd appreciate it greatly. R/Jeff

Offline BarryE

Re: Looking for some welding help
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 07:12:13 PM »
I took mine to a body shop with a tig (sp?) welder.  The guy did a great job and it was inexpensive too.

Offline Elk Hunter

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 07:14:10 PM »
Welding may be the best option maybe not. If there is enough room you may be able to drill and tap the hole two sizes larger, say from a #6 to a #10 and then using red loctite set a piece of screw in the hole. After the loctite sets you can dress the screw down and then re-drill the hole. I've used this method to repair threaded holes in a number of pieces that could not be welded including bolt action receivers improperly drilled for scope mounts.

Just a thought.

Offline Clint

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 03:59:11 AM »
The pivot hole in a frizzen is a tough repair because the hole is relatively deep and the foot is small. I would call Jane and see if TRS will sell you another frizzen (mabey a new lock plate too) When I drill frizzens, I fit the frizzen to the plate and use a small 'c' clamp to hold things together. Very carefully mark where you think the hole should be and  where the hole will emerge so you don't break through the top or bottom of the bolster. I drill from the outside of the lock and I use a drill that is smaller than a #4 screw. You dont need to drill through the whole stack in one shot but be sure to touch the frizzen foot with a full diameter of the bit. Take everything apart and drill the rest of the lock plate then the frizzen foot. Now you can reassemble the peices useing the drill bit as a pivot in order to adjust the final fit, then enlarge the holes to accept the screw. Don't sweat getting a few new peices, Once you recover from a given mistake you probably won't repeat it and once you have figured out some of the tricks specific to the task, the builds get "easier"

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 09:53:00 PM »
A welding shop with a gas shielded mig or tig should be able to handle it. However, TIG may migrate some tungsten into the weld and this would be impossible to drill other than with carbide. The gas shielded wire welder with TG power set very low will work. Anyone that does much work with cast gun parts needs something like a Hobart Handler 135 and and auto darkening welders hood. The second option is the high temp silver solder/braze a plug in the hole then redrill. Brass brazing will even allow the part to be casehardened.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Woodland

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 07:44:34 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about TIG migrating the tungsten on that small of a job.  As long as the welder doesn't dip the tungsten in the puddle, the amount of tungsten that would transfer would be imperceptible.  If you don't mind shipping it to Washington state, I will gladly TIG it for you.  PM me if interested.

Jon

Offline eggwelder

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 08:26:17 PM »
I mis-drilled the frizzed bridle on a small siler. I welded it up with flux core mig and it works fine. Flux core is what i had in the welder at the time, but not my preferred welding medium

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 05:34:09 PM »
All, appreciate the comments and offers of help.  Decided time to man up and try and fix it myself.  I've rebored and peened holes closed before and that method works well.  Only reason I'm not considering that on this one is that the holes will be so close I'd probably have to drill a pretty big hole to ensure enough space all the way around the new hole.  Teach a man to fish...bought a welder and you tube training starts on Saturday.  I went with a flux core, which I know is not the best for such fine work, but I couldn't justify $500-$1000 for a good TIG or MIG. I just can't see myself using it that much.  I'm lucky in that this is a big flat plate so I have some room to work and clean up the weld.  I'll practice on some scrap and if all goes well sparks will fly.  Thanks again for all the advice.  Woodland I may still have to PM you if this experiment goes south.  Cheers!