Author Topic: Vienna Jaeger Carving example ADDITIONAL PHOTOS  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Vienna Jaeger Carving example ADDITIONAL PHOTOS
« on: December 16, 2021, 05:01:19 AM »
Here are a handful of study  photos of carving on a Felix Meier Jaeger. The depth on the relief averages 0.035 for idea of the depth.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 05:11:30 PM by Ron Scott »

Offline heinz

Re: Vienna Jaeger Carving example
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 05:25:54 AM »
Ron, thanks for posting that.  That is impressive.  Is that a Vienna Jaeger?
kind regards, heinz

Offline Ron Scott

Re: Vienna Jaeger Carving example
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 05:06:23 PM »
Good Morning Heinz,
This is a rifle by Felix Meier of Vienna. It had been in England until this time last year. I have a rifle in progress to which I plan to apply similar architecture and carving. I have not made moulds from these mounts as I am undecided as to whether to offer a future class with it as a model. I find it interesting that the carving behind the cheek rest is delicate, while the carving in front of the cheek rest and other areas are fairly robust.

Offline heinz

Re: Vienna Jaeger Carving example ADDITIONAL PHOTOS
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 05:23:26 PM »
That is an interesting contrast.  Is there also a different hand doing the engraving on the brass versus the engraving on the iron? 
kind regards, heinz

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 05:37:38 PM »
Judging by the number of surviving items from that workshop and the degree of specialization in European crafts, I would assume that at least two different craftsman did the decorative work . The barrel is Damascus and difficult to tell if it is an repurposed Ottoman barrel or not. Another interesting feature is the single set trigger, a feature not often encountered.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 06:47:36 PM »
Wow, the more I look at it....the dizzier I get.
Tom C.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 08:42:49 PM »
I am a big fan of yeagers but this one makes me think that some where in there is a pretty girl that put on way to much make up and jewelry.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 09:49:18 PM »
In spite of the shallowness of the relief carving, compared to the engraving on the brass mounts, it is cavernous.  This quality of carving requires very dense and hard wood.  It is difficult to find pores in the wood within the carving which speaks to the density of the walnut.  What a joy to see such work.  Thanks Ron.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 10:51:48 PM »
It is absolutely marvelous - all of it, but especially, for me, the lock.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline acorn20

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 02:26:20 AM »
For those of us that do not have the means or opportunity to view a piece like this, thank you Ron for posting pictures.  A very interesting Jaeger.
Dan Akers

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
 What an amazing piece. Truely a work of art. I just love the way they give the look of depth but is an optical illusion and the reality of true depth is astounding. We are blessed to have you share the wealth with us in this. Thank you for taking the time to post this for us. I know someone who has some Arminian walnut that is capable of being carved like this. Let me see who was that again........Hmmm. That would be awesome if you did get mounts made. It would be over the top and would require me stepping up for some of your righteous Arminian walnut for the project. ;D
Dave Blaisdell

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 08:23:54 AM »
Ron,
Thanks for sharing! The carving is beautiful and looks a lot deeper than than it is. The coverage is so great but all ties together. Beautiful workmanship.
elkhorne

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 05:21:44 PM »
nice, but maybe it needs a little more carving and engraving. LOL
Galations 2:20

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »
This rifle is most likely from the transitional period of 1710-1730, maybe earlier. Transitional period between Baroque and Roccoco in Art and Decoration.
Roccoco has much less scrolling etc. Imho this is most likely a very late baroque rifle. It is likely that the barrel is a reworked bounty barrel.
Lots of bounty barrels were "larger" diameter round and smooth and could often easily filed into octagon swamped, shortened and rifled.
Damascus steel was not produced in the west at this time.
Sometimes, these turkish bounty barrel were kept in its original shape:
 https://www.hermann-historica.de/en/auctions/lot/id/435704

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 04:58:09 PM »
I have been speculating a date of 1720 plus or minus five years. Felix Meier died in 1739, so that gives some idea of the end production of that workshop. I have a Felix Meier Fowler with Damascus barrel with original Ottoman cartouche and silver ribbon inlay. Another unsigned Vienna Rifle has a bounty barrel with similar cartouche and silver decoration . This particular rife has deep chisel decoration over the area where a cartouche would have been located.

A recently acquired Suhl style Jaeger ca 1760 (fully developed Rococo decoration) has a barrel with similar twist pattern. It would be fascinating to know the full extent of dispersion of middle eastern Damascus barrels.

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2021, 05:29:43 PM »
Whichever troop contingencies faught in the turkish wars would be able to get their hands on bounty guns. One of the main engagements was of course Vienna, but it is not clear if a lot if these turkish guns were not still matchlocks. With the transition between wheelocks and flintlocks happening between 1690 and 1710 mostly. Transition happenend because of cheaper flintlock production. If the gun would be a matchlock, you would not use it, but would try to sell it. The only valuable part is the barrel, while the other parts would be scrap metal.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 06:29:44 AM by tecum-tha »

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »
Ron that will be quite the endeavor but I think you are up to the task, Great piece and what a great opportunity you are providing to your students.

Good luck, Jim
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"