Author Topic: Smooth bores in western Pa  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Tim Ault

Smooth bores in western Pa
« on: December 24, 2021, 12:09:04 AM »
I am still wanting a smooth bore but I’d like to get some ideas of what would have been made or used by the common man in my area of Pa let’s say from Bedford /Somerset co and west into SW Pa in the late flint era . Would a smooth rifle have been more common than a Fowler in that time period and location ?  What would be a good book to get some ideas ?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Smooth bores in western Pa
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 12:43:22 AM »
KF20 in Grinslade’s Flintlock Fowlers book is a start. Estimated at built in 1800, western PA. 42” octagon to round barrel, .53 caliber. “Maislin” lock.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 02:07:30 AM »
 I have a Lehigh built in 1814. It’s 45 caliber smoothbore. It arrived in California in the early 1840’s already converted to percussion, and shortened by about six inches. The gun shows very little wear, but a lot of rough handling, and storage, over the years. Honestly I think the owner found that a .45 smoothbore was almost worthless in the west.

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 06:05:12 AM »
A $45 book is a very small investment in a build that’s going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 in parts and scores of hours. I could not build without books.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 01:57:27 PM »
Thank your Mr Pierce . And yes I plan  on ordering that book after the holiday madness dies down

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 03:01:49 PM »
Guys,

The David Shaw gun is, or was, on display in the Heinz historical museum in Pittsburg.  David was a resident on Hannastown, Westmoreland County, PA during the Rev War period.  Although the gun has been restocked, it has a 48" oct-rnd smoothbore barrel of 14 bore.  I once made my interpretation of what the David Shaw gun looked like when newly made; an English/Philadelphia style fowling gun, brass mounts, no patchbox or cheek piece.

Jim

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 10:11:18 PM »
Thank you Mr Everett . Would you happen to have a picture of that rifle . Hannastown is only about 20 miles from me .