Author Topic: Aging  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Aging
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2022, 06:03:55 PM »
Mike, have always liked your “Godwin” gun. That other one is nice too.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 06:14:32 PM »
Just curious why its usually just the metal work that is aged and the wood is perfect? I don't see many rifles with the wood beat up and half of the finish missing.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 06:59:08 PM »
Here's the first one I went to town on the wood. Very conservative compared to where I eventually ended up.  BTW, this gun was probably built more than 20 years ago. I found out it sold again last year for $1000. :o I wish I would have known it was for sale as I would own it now!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 07:04:03 PM by Mike Brooks »
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2022, 07:02:28 PM »
Mike, have always liked your “Godwin” gun. That other one is nice too.
Thanks. I went through a series of first model Bess's, all  done like this. Fun to do. Most folks don't have the courage. ;D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2022, 07:19:18 PM »
This one is a humdinger. Iron mounted 1st Model. Helluva piece of walnut.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2022, 07:29:47 PM »
Hadn’t seen the “New York”one before.  Nice. And you’re right, it does take courage to bugger up the wood.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline JHeath

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2022, 01:02:37 AM »
Just curious why its usually just the metal work that is aged and the wood is perfect? I don't see many rifles with the wood beat up and half of the finish missing.

If I had an antique barrel, lock, furniture from a rifle but not the stock, I might clean it up and build a new stock.

But if I had a beaten, chipped old stock with no metal I wouldn't bother putting new a barrel, lock, furniture etc on it.

Maybe that's the difference.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2022, 03:14:43 AM »
Just remember, aging is a “matter of taste”.  Just like some people prefer the Flemish masters over the impressionists, there is no right or wrong.

We’ve had that discussion before… just sayin.   ;)

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2022, 08:45:36 AM »
Thanks for the photos and info. Really good stuff and very interesting.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2022, 08:56:41 PM »
Thanks for the photos and info. Really good stuff and very interesting.

Mike showed you some top-level work of his. His is very good, without making the piece look unsafe. I like all that stuff.
Some of Kettenburg's guns show truly courageous destruction. I looked but couldn't find the one I was looking for. Mike's examples hit a "sweet spot" to my mind, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to do such myself.
Hold to the Wind

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2022, 12:02:58 AM »
I concur that if you are going to age the barrel all of the gun needs the corresponding "patina" including nicks and dings. This ain't for everyone but here is my 32 caliber mathew gillespie rifle with all the aging of the original. Hope this is of some help.
"Muskrat" Mike

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2022, 05:14:22 AM »
  One time ago I asked one of the top gun builders. How to age metal. He said it took him a long time to figure it out.
 He suggested I start practicing. At first I was upset. But the more I thought about it . The more determined I was to do my own thing. Sometimes it's better to figure it out yourself.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2022, 05:45:59 AM »
Aged this up, it's an ugly brown gun. Been dropped, I've fallen on it and it's been rode hard and put away wet. Only problem with aging is you can get a bit heavy handed, sometimes causes a certain part of the anatomy to pucker. I installed the entry thimble then pried it out as I have seen on so many antiques

Offline LynnC

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2022, 04:43:57 PM »
If you are interested, the old ALR Archives have a wealth of info on aging. A page of results on iodine and 2 on Clorox. I didn’t search black spray paint but I’m sure it’s there 😉
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......