Author Topic: Looking for tutorial thread on breech bolster and long tang inletting  (Read 1023 times)

Offline HighUintas

I've done some searching but can't find a detailed description of the process for inletting a breech bolster and long tang after inletting the barrel.

I've got my bolster down into the stock far enough to where the tang is making contact on the stock but I am needing some info on order of procedures for inletting tang vs getting solid contact on rear of bolster and barrel. I'm worried if I work to get that solid rear contact now, that slight upward angle the barrel breech is still at will leave me with gaps after the tang is in and it's sitting all the way down, which would then require more wood removal behind the bolster and barrel and therefore mess up the tang inlet/wrist/tang relationship.

Does anyone have a link to a thread they can provide?

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Looking for tutorial thread on breech bolster and long tang inletting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 04:29:22 AM »
Do a search for D. Taylor Sapergia Hawken build thread.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 05:58:26 PM »
I have read that one a few times. Unfortunately he didn't really cover my question in that one.

But, I think I'm just overthinking it. I worked some more on it last night and got the tang partway in. I think I just need to keep going and checking breech and bolster contact regularly

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 05:58:11 PM »
I've done some searching but can't find a detailed description of the process for inletting a breech bolster and long tang after inletting the barrel.

I've got my bolster down into the stock far enough to where the tang is making contact on the stock but I am needing some info on order of procedures for inletting tang vs getting solid contact on rear of bolster and barrel. I'm worried if I work to get that solid rear contact now, that slight upward angle the barrel breech is still at will leave me with gaps after the tang is in and it's sitting all the way down, which would then require more wood removal behind the bolster and barrel and therefore mess up the tang inlet/wrist/tang relationship.

Does anyone have a link to a thread they can provide?

I epoxy, JB Weld, the standing breech to the the breech and inlet as one piece then heat them to disassemble. Just make sure the surfaces are perfectly clean.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine