Author Topic: Horne Horn  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Horne Horn
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:37:06 PM »
Never been a real big horn nut, but Bruce Horne's horn on the blog today really does it for me, very nifty.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Horne Horn
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
I agree with you Mike, Bruce is an excellent horner and engraver.  Great job.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
That has to be the best one I've seen from Bruce in my opinion. I really liked the painting on the butt plug. Really a cool horn.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 04:05:52 PM »
Wow! I know it is a sin to covet . . . .  Bruce is a master.
Wayne Elliott

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »
Nice horn.  Lots of influence from the "Pointed Tree" carver, whoever he was.

I have always been sort of a horn nut.  There are a lot of folks making really nice horns these days, but a few makers still really stand out.  

The aging job on this horn is really well done.  Looks like the real deal.

By the way - that Sibley banded horn a few items down is really fine too!

Guy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:13:48 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:11:54 PM »
 Outstanding workmanship and design.

Tim C.

Offline art riser

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
Gentlemen, I must apologize the horn is an original.  Bruce had the horn at the Horner's Show and we just assumed it was his.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
Well just for my honest opinion, I still think he could have made one like it!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 06:02:41 AM »
That horn first showed up out at the Prairie States Longrifle Show in Princeton, IL, show put on by Curt Johnson, when it was carried in perhaps 8 or 10 years ago. It caused a lot of excitement due to its fine painted butt plug, and generally fine carving. It's gone through a couple of hands since then, but is a fine horn made even better by the period scene on the plug.  Shelby Gallien

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
"The aging job on this horn is really well done.  Looks like the real deal"  

Well, there you go.  :)

Is it a Pointed tree horn?  The deer and the coat of arms look to be his style, even though there are no pointed trees...those spade like features on the border look much like his pointed tree shapes though...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:21:48 PM by Guy Montfort »

Moon

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 04:45:11 AM »
A bit of correction needed here... I loaned the horn to Bruce a couple of years ago for him to study. Shelby was partly correct- I purchased it at the Prairie States Show from a Chicago couple some years ago but it has been owned only by myself since then.

Although somewhat difficult to discern in the photographs, the 10th image shows Lake George making a turn to the East, proving, I think, that The Master did not bother to lay out the horn before going to work - here he ran out of space and had to turn the map to the right to complete it.

I own two other "Pointed Tree Master" horns, both smaller and neither map horns; one was purchased in Edinburgh and the other in Sheffield. One has the finest work I have seen by his hand although the iconography is far simpler than the map horn.

Russ

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:54:45 AM »
Russ, welcome to the forum and we'd enjoy looking at works from the old masters.  I really enjoy the Pointer Tree carvers' works as well.  If you had any pics of the them would you care to share them with us? 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Moon

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:16:46 AM »
Glen,
My apologies for the delay in getting these posted. This is the small horn purchased in Sheffield about 1970. Architecturally, this is a 'Shaker plain' horn body. Nonetheless, The Master spared no effort. The cartouche and the tree concealing the hunter are particularly spectacular IMHO. I'd like to read your honest opinion.

Russ

Offline Collector

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:01:44 AM »
Is that an indian (NA) hiding on the opposite side of the tree, from the hunter?  If it is, it's a neat little element of humor hiding amongst the other details.  8)

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 07:41:30 AM »
Is that an indian (NA) hiding on the opposite side of the tree, from the hunter?  If it is, it's a neat little element of humor hiding amongst the other details.  8)

Blown up 5 or 6 times, it appears that what you think might be an Indian is actually the smoke from the muzzle of the hunters rifle.  No Indian there.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
The hunter is one of the "signature" features used frequently by the Pointed Tree Carver and the detail is depicted really clearly too - the smoke emerging from the muzzle and the flint lock on the gun are usually clealy discernible.  Another thing he used a lot was the hunter's companion - the running dog in pursuit of the game, with his tongue hanging out and bent at an angle - again in very fine detail.  Also the stepping buck (or elk or stag maybe in this case...?) with his head turned and front leg stepped up as well - although this horn also has others in some different poses too.  I have seen one other Pointed Tree horn in a private collection, not in any of the books, that has a blank cartouche similar to this one.  

Just a great piece.

Guy
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:06:13 PM by Guy Montfort »