Author Topic: Center drilling jig.  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Rt5403

Center drilling jig.
« on: February 26, 2022, 12:01:54 AM »
I have been searching the building supply website and either I'm missing it or they don't sell them. Does anyone know where I can buy a center drilling jig for tang bolts, lock bolts, and barrel pins? Also prices. Thank you for any help.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Center drilling jig.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 12:39:43 AM »
I do not know sources. I pound a spike through a pine board and clamp the board to my drill press.
Andover, Vermont

Offline BJH

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 12:41:55 AM »
Most are home made. Mine is, I simply ground a point on the end of a 1/2 inch bolt about 6 inches long. Added nut and washers making my base center. Attach this to the table of your drill press. Mine is sort of permanently attached to the edge of the round table. Put your chosen drill into the chuck and align it to the point of the bottom center, allowing for the thicknes of the work. Lock your table and your ready to go. For jobs like tang bolt holes, I typically will lay out and center punch,then drill a undersized pilot hole freehand. I’ll do this with the trigger plate also.Then double check for center, if it’s a bit out I’ll use a countersink and chisel to draw the countersink to center. You nick the edge of the hole in the direction you need it to go. Once centered I’ll countersink useing the center jig to nearly finish diameter. Then drill your clearance hole to the trigger plate. The drill will center itself in the countersink. Then flip the stock, change to the tap drill and drill the trigger plate. That’s my method for what it’s worth. BJH
BJH

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 12:42:17 AM »
 David Rase, a member here, makes a fine one. He'll probably be able to help you out.

Tim C.

Offline Rt5403

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 12:43:50 AM »
I don't have a drill press was looking for the clamp version. I tried to message him on here about it and it wouldn't go through.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 12:46:43 AM »
   Try this:  davidrase@q.com

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 01:05:46 AM »
Tom Snyder also make a good center drilling jig that is well made and is reasonably priced.  If you want his contact info PM me and I will give it to you.

Jim
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 01:45:03 AM »

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 01:47:49 AM »
Robert Boggs, a member of this forum, makes them. I bought oneand use it a lot- it’s excellent.

Offline Birddog

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2022, 03:01:17 AM »
The gun works sell them . Gun smith drill jig for 43.50

Offline satwel

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 04:38:47 PM »
Just so you know, I bought the drilling jig sold by Jedediah Starr and while it does work well, its usefulness is limited somewhat by its size. As long as you are building rifles it should be fine. I could not use it when I built my Long Land Pattern Bess. It doesn't have the span to accommodate the wrist and lock panels of a military musket.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 04:48:10 AM »
I bought one from the Gun Works too and I didn't like it for a few reasons but if you want to buy one and try it out go for it. It might work for you.
Rob

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 05:06:52 AM »
I've had a Rase jig for over a dozen years and works very well!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 05:47:16 AM »
Ah, I was thinking of something else- a jig that screws into the drill press table to assist in drilling on center for tang bolts and such.
Andover, Vermont

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 05:41:51 PM »
Ah, I was thinking of something else- a jig that screws into the drill press table to assist in drilling on center for tang bolts and such.
When using this type of setup you must make sure you anchor the stock down well or you will auger out the hole.  Other than that, this type of setup works well.
David