Author Topic: well i guess live and learn  (Read 1648 times)

Offline yip

well i guess live and learn
« on: February 27, 2022, 11:27:01 PM »
    didn't think about it at the time but my craving was done on a red maple stock and it a little raggy. is there any way to fix this other than live with incised craved had a buddy point this out.  yak red maple.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: well i guess live and learn
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 11:48:26 PM »
Gotta see pics to help you out
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yip

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 01:39:02 AM »
i'm gonna include a picture please be kind ,it looks like the work of a six grader i know but help if you can

« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 08:32:46 PM by yip »

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 02:31:56 AM »
I have always have avoided Incised carving! Since my first build in 1983 I chose raised relief because  it was easier for me to do!
Not until I ran in to Tom Curran; who thought me to do incised carving like I would do engraving  ( Mallet & chisels)  I finally succeed in incised carving!
Jim
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 01:31:34 AM by Jim Filipski »
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 03:12:28 AM »
Definitely a start, yip.  Tool sharpness & blending the wider cuts into the narrower. Is this what you were referring to in your original post?
Using an Optivisor might help see the nuances of the carving that is there, so to blend smoothly would be easier. Once done, it will look just fine.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 05:13:17 AM »
Stop beating yourself up.  I've seen MUCH worse that people were proud of.  This can be fixed as Daryl said.  Sharpen those v chisels and enhance it.  You can carefully burnish some of it as well.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 09:31:51 AM »
Yip, you should carry on and have fun with it! What you have will look much better than you think to you once you have it stained and finished!  Give yourself credit where credit is due!

Thanks for sharing, Curtis.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Birddog6

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 03:41:22 PM »
i'm gonna include a picture please be kind ,it looks like the work of a six grader i know but help if you can

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but I would most likely rasp it out & rid of it.  The carving could be cleaned up.
But the placement of the design is completely out of place on the rifle, IMHO.  The cut on the rear of the wrist & nose of the comb I  would leave alone & work from, but take the remaining off & recut it. Do it on paper first til it is correct.  Then draw it on the rifle til it is correct. Then cut lightly & work it.   

Don't feel bad, I have see ALLOT worse & some that only a fireplace would fix.

One should look at old photos rifle & contemporary rifles on here or in books,  & see design & placement of the carvings. Basically every design you will see came from Someones something inspiring it. Be it a carving, limb, vine, leaf, sea shell, drawing, whatever.

Most builders try to stay with a carving that fits the style of the rifle school. It helps place the rifle in their minds.  Few like a RenaltChevroFordiac. They may say they do. See if they own one.  ;)

Also, always practice on a scrap piece.  Now some people think 10 min with a exacto knife is practice   :o  No, that is tinkering.  Practice is carving on a scrap piece for a week or two, or 12,  until you get it Correct.  Then you apply it to the rifle.

I once had a rifle sit for 18 months because I couldn't decide what to carve behind the cheekpiece. I must have drawn on that rifle 100 times, look at it a week or two, erase it off & start over.  To this day when I look at photos of it & want to change it.  ;D 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »
I did equally as bad in my early days. Use sharp tools and harder wood. I also drive my tool with a hammer. I know you have physical limitations, but when I cut this sort of stuff my wrist is locked in and I make the turns with my upper body at the waist. Gives nice even curves that way.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 06:23:10 PM »
Some of this can be fixed with Ncheckering tools. Standard and the short length for curves. Check out Brownells. I also have a long cutter I made from a three square needle file I annealed cut teeth into and then bent for a handle. Its good for straight runs. I have a heck of a time following long straight lines anymore. 
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine