Author Topic: New member and finishing question  (Read 1284 times)

Jim McQuaide

New member and finishing question
« on: March 04, 2022, 12:13:47 AM »
Hello all, new member here but have been building rifles on and off for the last 25 years. I'm finishing up #16, a western PA rifle in the style of David Morton, and have a question about stock finish and inlays/engraving. I'm using Chambers Traditional Oil Finish for the first time, and really liking it so far. One problem I'm running into, however, is the finish is very orange/brown in color. It's quite visible in the engraving and around the brass tacks, and difficult to remove from the many brass and silver inlays on the gun without dulling the existing finish. Should I complete the finishing (i'm at about 5 coats right now, and it's pretty much done) and then try Brasso or something similar to remove the dried varnish? (or should I just not worry about it and get on with my life haha). Any insight would be appreciated, and thanks!

Offline Metalshaper

Re: New member and finishing question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 12:33:14 AM »
You might try Nevr-dull on the brass? I get it at the hardware store.
I have used it and never noticed it dulling the finishes that were next to the mounts.

your mileage may vary??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 12:44:45 AM »
I always steel wool the finish off of the brass. That is going to be a nice gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 01:06:54 AM »
Hi Jim,
Mike is right, 0000 steel wool works well but also maroon and gray Scotch Bright pads.  I sometimes put masking tape on the wood if I am going to have to rub the metal a lot to remove finish.  One other trick that works very well if you can be careful is to use 220 or 400 grit Dedeco radial discs (used to be made by 3-M) mounted in a Dremel.  I buy 5/8" and 1" discs that mount on 3/32" and 1/8" mandrils for Dremels.  I usually stack 3 discs together on the mandrel and they will clean up finish on the metal very quickly.  If you hit the wood for just an instant they won't damage the finish.  You can follow edges very precisely and can get into tight corners particularly if inlays are sculpted metal like fancy British side plates.  I usually use them to remove a thick film of finish and then go back and clean up spots with 0000 steel wool, which also burnishes the metal.  The discs are available from Rio Grande jewelry supply (www.riogrande.com)

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 01:18:04 AM »
Nice and ambitious build!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 01:33:21 AM »
Wow, that is a nice build! I use 0000 steel wool also on my brass
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 02:06:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jim. That looks like a nice rifle, Good luck.  :)

Jim McQuaide

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 02:57:36 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I do use 0000 steel wool, it works really well to rub in the first and second coats of finish (sort of a wet sand, without the problems associated with sandpaper). I think I'll just need a bit more patience to work around the piercings and small inlays to get everything cleaned up. I might try a brass brush to clean out the engraving. The orange color is really distracting, especially on the coin silver (the rifle has 14 inlays, 12 of which are silver). This has been my hardest build by far and it's nice to finally be done, but I will miss working on it! I'll post pics in a few days when it's all back together.

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 03:02:34 AM »
I'm sure you will do a great Job! Just take your time....you can do it!
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 03:58:31 AM »
What Mike Brooks said

Nice work.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 04:39:29 PM »
Looking forward to more photos. Very nice.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline archer829

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 04:44:12 PM »
That looks incredible!  Can we see more pictures?

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 06:56:39 PM »
Nice rifle!  I've seen another rifle by David Morton years ago. IIRC, Morton was from West Newton, a small town along the Youghiogheny River, is this correct?  I grew up in West Newton and was just curious if my info is correct.  The town is also about 6 or 7 miles away from Ruffsdale, Pa. where W.G. Suter had his shop in the 50's through 70's.

Jim McQuaide

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 09:40:32 PM »
Yes, David Morton was from West Newton. The best biographical information I have is from The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania by Richard Rosenberger. There are 2 or 3 of his works illustrated in the book, along with many other great guns by Sherry, Allison, Fleeger, McCosh, and many others.

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 11:57:07 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the information.  Again, that sure is a fine rifle.