Author Topic: Cherry stock  (Read 1450 times)

Offline ed lundquist

Cherry stock
« on: January 25, 2022, 03:52:04 AM »
I have a cherry stock I'd like to build a rifle on but I'd like to get some opinions before I put chisel to wood. It is quarter sawn and very straight grained, no flow through the wrist. It is dense compared to other cherry I have worked and I think it may show some figure when finished. I don't plan on using it as a club and wonder how break prone the wrist might be. I have a 50 cal. barrel I would use in it. So would you hesitate to buy a rifle built on such a stock or bother to build on it. Thanks for the help.

upload

Offline Jeff Murray

Re: Cherry stock
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 05:07:10 AM »
My 50 caliber early period long rifle has a cherry stock and I love it.  The rifle is over 40 years old and has probably several thousand rounds through it.  I hunt and shoot with it.  It has seen everything from hot desert sun to heavy snow and rain.  I would go for it.

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 04:02:18 PM »
If you are worried about the wrist since it is a quarter sawn blank, preemptively fix.
Take a piece of 1/4 inch allthread, drill a hole in the wrist from behind the end of the breach-plug and run it down a bit past the comb. Clean the allthread with acetone or lacker thinner. Epoxy it in place, using a slow setting epoxy, such as Acraglass. I used stainless allthread on my .54 Bucks County rifle as it has a very thin wrist. I have hunted that gun hard in various climate zones.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 04:08:52 PM »
Great advice above. I try not to fall down as much at my age. I’d not worry especially if you reinforce as suggested. But if you break it you can repair it, have a story and a more interesting gun. Your blank has fine figure; wish it was mine.
Andover, Vermont

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 04:24:09 PM »
I will do that, thanks.

Offline staggerwing

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 05:32:31 PM »
Beautiful piece of cherry!  Please keep us posted with photos of the build! 

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 06:01:16 PM »
Nice piece of cherry. If you don't use it I'll buy it!
Tom C.

Offline FALout

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 02:48:14 AM »
The grain may not flow exactly like “you” would like, but I think you will be fine, otherwise I love the curl, could be interesting when shaping the stock but if it is dense it may be fine.  The softer wood like cherry can be more challenging sometimes.
Bob

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 03:22:44 AM »
Pretty stock! It reminds me of Quilted Maple. I wonder if there is such a thing as Quilted Cherry? 🤫

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 03:37:23 AM »
Dug four more of these out from under the porch, they were sawn on 1/18. Sawed out a rough profile, planed and jointed three of them. One had a long stress split, I may get a couple pistol stocks from it. Another has some inclusions and little figure but will still make a nice gun. The remaining two are handsome and will take long barrels. Moisture is only down to 19% so they will go by the hot water heater for a year or so as I did with the one previous. That one is at around 6% now and waiting on a barrel. We get beautiful big cherry here and on a north facing slope they grow tall and wide. I did a fingernail test and could barely dent it, won't know for chippy till I carve one but I'll figure it out. Wish I had been there when It was taken down, it was cut about two feet from ground and had a good bell at the base. Might need to cut another. Yes the quilted effect is really noticeable on the top flats.