Author Topic: First longrifle build - another set of eyes please? (Finished!)  (Read 3221 times)

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
Re: First longrifle build - another set of eyes please? (Finished!)
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2022, 02:27:32 AM »
Your first build?  You have done a fine job and obviously have some skills.  I assume you fabricated the box, real nice work on it and the inletting.  Great work, what's next??

Offline snapper

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2022, 02:35:55 AM »
Dave

Cant wait to see it in person.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline heinz

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2022, 03:19:41 AM »
Nicely done.  I think you picked the John Small theme up, and bit of engraving will emphasize that.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2022, 03:34:37 AM »
Looks really nice, Dave - well done.
You should be proud that you built that rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2022, 04:45:53 AM »
Your first build?  You have done a fine job and obviously have some skills.  I assume you fabricated the box, real nice work on it and the inletting.  Great work, what's next??

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

Yes, I made the patchbox. I followed the tutorial for making a curved hinge and like to tore my hair out. I fought the knuckles wanting to suck in low. Next time I think I will make the hinge flat and bend over a solid form.

Next is a not-bench copy of a Schroyer rifle. I first saw it at John Shipper's engraving class and he was kind enough to let two of us spend hours taking hundreds of measurements and photos. The rifle was then sold, but I know where it is and I can get more photos and any measurements I need from the new owner.

I normally like the earlier rifles but every time I walked past that rifle I was drawn to it. Once I shouldered it, I knew I wanted it.

I may have bit off a good bit, it has carving which I have never done. But my engraving is as good as the original. (Not nearly as good as John Small's) We will see if I can pull it off.

I have a lock stock and barrel. The trigger guard and buttplate are backordered. Once they arrive I can start drawing the rifle out. Stay tuned, I'm gonna need advice and more eyes on my work to get this done 8^)

DAve
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:50:52 AM by yellowhousejake »

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2022, 04:49:54 AM »
Dave

Cant wait to see it in person.

Fleener

You will, I was hoping you would walk me through my first woods walk at Friendship. Denise says I have to bring you good Whisky as a bribe...

DAve