Author Topic: Work bench task light  (Read 1884 times)

Offline 45-110

Work bench task light
« on: March 27, 2022, 06:27:39 PM »
Need a recommendation for a led weighted base 30" or so flex arm work bench light. I do not want a clamp on so it can be moved on bench top, don't need a magnifier. Checked all the catalogs, bewildering choices and some crazy prices, many out of stock. Do not want a $400 one or a $30 one. Surely there is something I have missed?..Trying to avoid a cheap Chinese light.
Thanks KW

Offline ed lundquist

Re: Work bench task light
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 07:08:21 PM »
 Dick Blick has some you might use.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 07:10:30 PM »
I prefer older swing arm lamps such as those by Luxo.  I also prefer 100 watt incandescent bulbs.  You can still by rough service versions of these.  I’ve taught many classes where students bring in led adjustable arm lights and they have always seemed pretty pathetic.  There may be some good ones, but I haven’t seen them.  If you want to buy an old light, check eBay.  Mount it to a weighted base so it can be slid around.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 07:54:32 PM »
I’ve found a couple nice old Made In USA ones at the local Goodwill store if you have any close. They dont always have any, but a weekly trip may yield one. Think the most I paid was $5.

Bob

Offline 45-110

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 08:19:41 PM »
Thanks guys! I been watching a few old drafting style lights on Ebay, the Luxo brand and others. It seems the way to go. Just did like fact that led's do not get as hot.
kw

Offline Richard

• North of 54
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 09:26:09 PM »
I glued the flat base on my light to a blind flange. Slides around nicely on the bench surface and provides the right amount of weight to steady the lamp when positioning the lamp.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 04:54:40 AM »
I have found that just one lamp is not enough, as cast shadows are sometimes more a problem than a help. Good lighting is always so important, especially in fine detail work.  I was just informed last week that I have pretty advanced cataracts and hopefully when I can get them cut out I won't have lighting issues, and one good lamp will be enough  :)

Offline 45-110

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 03:19:45 PM »
Its a struggle for me too, I currently have fluorescent over the bench and my broken incandescent fixture by the vise. The halogen gets so hot is annoying when your face is close enough as near sighted as I am.
kw

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 03:00:49 PM »
Where are you all getting incandescent bulbs? I haven't seen any of those for sale for years, just LED pseudo-incandescents.....
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline 45-110

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 04:01:03 PM »
Took Jim's advice and have a used Luxo coming from Ebay. I need to find some bulbs also, did not think about trying to locate them in the 21st century.
kw

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 04:21:05 PM »
Where are you all getting incandescent bulbs? I haven't seen any of those for sale for years, just LED pseudo-incandescents.....

The "rough service "bulbs are still available in incandescent .My local Ace Hardware has them in 100 watt as well as the dreaded Amazon.
Places like Home Depot should have them as well.

Mitch

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 04:35:34 PM »
Over my bench is a fluorescent 2 tube light and the real light come form a lamp clamped to it with a 150 watt bulb.
Same over the back bench which only holds a tool box and a reloading press.The back wall has no window but does
hold a late model air conditioner.The mill and 2 drill presses at the windowed East wall also use a 2 tube fluorescent
fixture.The West wall has a window and the same fixture over a 10x36 Atlas lathe made in 1934.I have thought about
upgrading all these lights with a modern system but seeing that I am only in the shop for a short time I will hold off
on that idea.This calendar year I have made exactly TWO Hawken triggers and that's IT.I have material for more and
will post if I get anything else made to sell.
Bob Roller

Offline rtadams

Re: Work bench task light incandescent bulb source online
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 05:03:28 PM »
3-29-22

I use www.1000bulbs.com with excellent results for incandescent bulbs.

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 04:03:41 PM »
Yesterday I hung a single 48" LED tube light over my work bench and when it lit up I could actually see what was in the shop ;D for the first time since 1963.Three more of these are going to go up soon.The old fluorescents will be gone.
Bob Roller

Offline 45-110

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 08:29:33 PM »
Yes one good thing about a 48" led ceiling light is that at least they "come on" and don't flicker in a cold Montana morning. I replaced mine also.
kw

Offline Jakob

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 08:49:26 PM »
I've been meaning to make one of these for ages:

Offline snapper

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2022, 12:39:12 AM »
Kenny.  A while back someone mentioned doing this with my light.    Took off the clamp and just drilled a hole where I wanted it.   Works great

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill