Author Topic: My copy of an original side plate  (Read 978 times)

Offline Goo

My copy of an original side plate
« on: March 29, 2022, 02:57:14 PM »
Hi All, I've been inactive for some time due to all manner of drama but.... now I have been gun building again and want to share a photo of a side plate I copied in brass for a new pistol build.  I saw the original gun on a dealers table at a show in Indianapolis a couple of years ago. I could not spare the cash to purchase the exquisite example of German workmanship.   My gunsmith mentor and the owner of the pistol being well acquainted, the owner of the pistol kindly agreed to let me photograph the piece so I could develop my skills in this fine craft.  The original pistol was fitted out in Iron but i had already committed to figured maple not walnut for euro style and had the brass pommel mounted so I am continuing in and carved the side plate in brass  All comments and criticisms welcomed

Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline alacran

Re: My copy of an original side plate
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 03:22:58 PM »
I just finished a chiseled side plate in steel. So, I really appreciate all the work that you have done on yours. It would be nice if you could show a close up.
I did enlarge yours. Doing so loses a lot of resolution. I like the work you did and commend you for even attempting it.
If like myself you had no one to show you how to proceed other than the photograph, I have to say well done!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 04:29:18 PM »
  Goo well done indeed...!  A little clean up an you will have a very impressive side plate...  Congrats...!!
  Oldtravler

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 04:50:10 PM »
Looks very nice from where I sit. How thick was the brass sheet that you started with?

Offline Goo

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 02:52:31 PM »
It was close to and slightly less than 1/16",  I was taught these types of side plates were very thin and the inletting was quite shallow. The metal maybe inset by half the thickness. 

Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.