Author Topic: Fixed tang/breech plug for Hawken  (Read 3242 times)

Offline borderdogs

Re: Fixed tang/breech plug for Hawken
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 09:46:28 PM »
It looks like you are getting there but you still have some to go. Small bites with a file and graver works. Once you think the parts are meeting along all sides super glue then file as a unit The lines between the barrel and breech should almost disappear and so should the line between the tang and the breech.
Rob

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2022, 06:32:10 PM »
Well the breach tang is glued to the barrel, and I just started the inletting of the barrel. I had plans on using a white lightning touchhole liner. But it doesn’t look like that’ll be possible. Because by the time I get the tang in there the flash hole is going to really close to the seam of the breach plug&in barrel.
What is the typical diameter of a standard drilled/hole? And how much material has to be between it and the barrel? As you can see I still have to come back about an eighth of an inch.

download image from instagram url

Offline 45-110

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2022, 12:43:04 AM »
Ok I looked at all the fitting up pictures and it looks like you are using inletting black to spot in the tang to the breech? This is where you should be using prussian blue, apply with q tip VERY sparingly.
Hit the high spots with a small curved tip riffler file, its slow going but will get you to a perfect precision fit joint. When that is done to satisfaction, I generally epoxy the tang to breech for inletting.
kw

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2022, 10:40:52 PM »
CB,
The angle of your photo its hard to judge exactly where the vent is in regard to the pan and how close to the breech line you are. But it seems like you have enough room to put in a vent liner. They come pretty close to the seam study some photos of putting in a vent liner do a search on the forum search window.
Rob

Offline Chocktaw Brave

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2022, 08:45:57 PM »
This looks too close!
Barrel is fully inletted now. I don’t think I will trust the threads being that close. So I’m just going to drill a single hole like in the old days.