Author Topic: Show pics of your Bucks County LRs?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline flehto

Show pics of your Bucks County LRs?
« on: April 08, 2022, 03:51:56 PM »
I'm no longer building LRs because of poor eyesight but seeing Bucks County LRs were my favorites, could some pics of  BCs be shown by the builders? Would be greatly appreciated. The first pic shown below is of either my  1st or 2nd BC attempt of a BC....followed by some later builds.....Fred

Offline Cosmo

• Starting Member
Re: Show pics of your Bucks County LRs?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 04:53:59 PM »
I'm with you Fred, I love the look of the Bucks County rifles.
“If you are an American, you must allow all ideas to circulate freely in your community, not merely your own.”  Kurt Vonnegut

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 05:43:51 PM »
This is how they show best.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 06:35:03 PM »

Not even close to your beautiful workmanship Fred but my short version of a Bucks Co. does get the job done.

I also have a fine Bucks Co longrifle made by the late Stu Johnstone and when we get some better weather I will take a few pictures and post them. 
Joel Hall

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 09:17:27 PM »
I've only built one Fred, but I built it twice.  The first time I did A. Verner's fancy rifle was in the 1970's and the second time, was 2011, and I still have that one.  Mine is a .50 cal with a Getz 48" swamped barrel.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 10:51:19 PM »
Hey Majorjoel where did you get that box?  Did you get that from Don Stith?  Is that an original antique box lid?

I had one that looked just like it many years ago that was a true antique that I got in a big box of loose parts mixed with clock parts; I feel like a remember selling it to Don but maybe I sold it elsewhere?  Can't remember.  I think it may have been eastern Berks and very funky!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 12:46:02 AM »
Taylor....what a beautiful BC! I'm not that "up" on the history of the BC LR but possibly your rendition of a  Verner  BC  would be an early one?  I've seen some pics of possible later Verners and these had more of the BC features and one  had the curved combline. . The Verner you made has the 3 most prominent BC features....the elongated finial on the entry pipe,  side opening Pbox, and a "leafy" cheek star. Thanks for showing.....Fred

Offline duca

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 02:18:26 AM »
I've only built one Fred, but I built it twice.  The first time I did A. Verner's fancy rifle was in the 1970's and the second time, was 2011, and I still have that one.  Mine is a .50 cal with a Getz 48" swamped barrel.

Wow, Beautiful Taylor! Would love to see a full shot of that rifle

Anthony

Here you go....

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 03:44:36 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Tim S

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 03:18:48 AM »

Offline duca

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 04:41:04 AM »
Awesome! And thanks for posting!!

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 09:48:40 AM »
Hi Eric K.  That patchbox IS the old original that you once owned.  You had sold it to Fred "Hurricane" Garner and I bought it from him some years ago.  I just had to put it back into service.  :)
Joel Hall

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
Taylor the incised carving behind the cheek piece is the cleanest and well executed I can remember seeing.
the picture of my rifle with the elk was on my phone. I had to retrieve these ones from a thumb drive. I posted them a long time ago.
I made all the furniture on this rifle except for the trigger guard which I bought from Mr Goering at Friendship.

math numbers and symbols

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2022, 05:51:47 PM »
Kind of Shuleresque, .58.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 06:17:53 PM »
Hi Eric K.  That patchbox IS the old original that you once owned.  You had sold it to Fred "Hurricane" Garner and I bought it from him some years ago.  I just had to put it back into service.  :)

Cool!  I thought I sold it to Don because i/ know for sure he bought a couple of sideplates that were also in the parts box, couldn't remember for sure about this funky patchbox.

Still have not seen another one like it.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline flehto

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2022, 08:39:32 PM »
When I first decided to mainly build BCs, there  weren't  any Shuler type BC Bplates or TGs so I bought both that  could be modified into the Shuler BC style. The Bplate had facets on the return {tang}which had to be rounded and the return had to be long enough so a "thumbnail" could be filed  and the TG was a Verner that was modified to look like a Shuler by adding "thumbnails" to the ends of both finials and the finial faceting was changed.  The elongated finial RR entry pipes were easy to make as were the side opening Pboxes.  All my BCs were in the style of Shuler because I liked the slightly curved combline. The curled triggers were also easy to make as were the 1/16" thick sterling silver "leafy" cheek stars. The 1/16" star thickness enabled one center screw to hold it in w/o buckling. 

One of the characteristics of a BC LR is the slenderness,  so the webs were 1/16" at the breech and 5/32" at the muzzle. The 1/16" web at the breech posed some problems w/ the bbl lug which had to be a very different  design and the  lock's front bolt was a thin #6-32 and had to be very accurately located.   The bbl lengths varied at first but then the "B" weight X 46" was always  used so the slenderness was more easily achieved. 

Have a regret that I didn't make and use at least once  an open ended BC muzzlecap, but always thought that a BC w/ one was kinda "chubby" looking at the muzzle.....A few more BC pics....Fred 

find duplicate words in text file online

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 11:21:54 PM by flehto »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2022, 09:36:19 PM »
 :-[ Well I don't have one, and somehow I feel deprived.   :'(
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2022, 01:27:45 AM »
Fred, ALL of your muzzle loaders that have seen demonstrate exquisite workmanship.  You can be proud of each and every one of them.  I often wish I had the talent of builders such as yourself and Taylor.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline flehto

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2022, 07:43:55 PM »
Thanks to all for pics, comments and kind words. To keep my fingers into building considered a Kibler Colonial but w/ my deteriorating eyesight, that wouldn't even  be possible. Thanks again.....Fred

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 08:26:48 PM by flehto »

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 08:12:07 AM »
Here is another one for you Fred!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline flehto

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2022, 04:39:45 PM »
Curtis....that's an outstanding BC, especially the incised carving....nicely done.

Robby, as usual, a beautiful LR which happens to be a BC. I like the entry pipe.

Thanks to both...Fred

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 03:28:35 PM by flehto »