Author Topic: Somebody is building from blanks  (Read 9459 times)

Offline ed lundquist

Re: Somebody is building from blanks
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2022, 08:57:03 PM »
Lots of fine work! My latest is a 38" 50 with all iron furniture. Buried the butt plate and trigger guard in the woodstove overnite and let them cool till morning, I can't tell much softening taken place. All the filing is giving my arthritis the fits, think I'll do one in brass next.

Offline kutter

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2022, 10:52:56 PM »
Such neat work areas and benches.
One goal I've never been able to achieve, or at least keep that way for any length of time. :)

Offline taco650

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2022, 04:09:46 PM »
Bill, That's cool stuff having a partner in crafts.  My wife loves the sewing and knitting crafts and loves to collect vintage sewing machines.  She currently has two vintage Singers she uses, a 1591, and a Singer treadle machine.  I totally support her in these endeavors as she supports me in mine. 

Agreed!!  My wife does quilling and makes the most awesome greeting cards!  She also does water color cards now & then those look pretty cool also. 

Thanks also to Bill Raby for sharing his builds on Rumble.  I learn a lot

msw

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2022, 04:45:57 AM »
it's official.  i am intimidated.

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2022, 04:56:52 AM »
it's official.  i am intimidated.

Don’t be. If I can do it, anybody that wants to put in the effort can do good work and while there are true artists here recognize that you don’t need to compete on their level to produce great stuff. Read a lot, get good tools, and find a mentor or take a class if you can.
David Shotwell

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2022, 05:05:57 AM »
   And every one of those true artists started their first rifle not knowing what they are doing. I would bet that most of them started before there was such a thing as internet videos and gun building forums. All of those true artists made a whole lot of mistakes along the way. They became true artists because they did not get intimidated and actually built that first rifle. They did not give up before they even started. They learned from their mistakes and kept at it until they got better. There is nothing special about any of those guys. They are no different than anyone else. If they are capable of doing it, then so are you.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2022, 04:14:51 PM »
Well said, Bill.  All the great artists and architects, engine builders and barn builders, have made mistakes along the way.  They persevered, and blessed us with truly wonderful projects to admire, and perhaps emulate.

Been building a couple of kit projects, a T/C "Hawken" and Traditions Blunderbuss.  Can't help but add my own little touches, some good, some not so good, but they are mine regardless of how they turn out.

Some days I can't even sharpen a pencil without busting the point off a time or two.  Just gotta keep plodding along.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2022, 06:27:36 PM »
David, when I get my forge up and running I’m going to make some specialized tools for working on comb nose edges. I’ll take 2-3” pieces of rasps and coarse files, give them a shallow bend, and braze stout steel handles on them. I’ll use them to safely and efficiently clean up removal of wood in the scooped out areas like on this gun and early Hudson Valley fowlers.

Rich, I'd love to see pictures of these specialized rasps when you have them. I did just order an Auriou - brand "Chairmaker's Rasp" from Lee Valley. It is billed as being great for concave surfaces so hopefully it will help on the "scoop." I've considered taking more out with gouges but I'm afraid to over do it.
David Shotwell

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2022, 07:39:51 PM »
David, I use Liogier, from France.  Expensive, but really remove wood fast and accurately.  You do need to wear a mechanic's glove on the lead hand.

They come in various tooth spaces - the fastest cutting are the low numbers, they get smoother as the number increases.  I have them from #4 to #11.  Watching Raby work convinced me of the value.

I've tried adding photos, but the only way I can get them on the computer is to email them from the phone to this computer.  Cannot transfer from my nice camera at all.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2022, 08:06:13 PM »
David, I use Liogier, from France.  Expensive, but really remove wood fast and accurately.  You do need to wear a mechanic's glove on the lead hand.

They come in various tooth spaces - the fastest cutting are the low numbers, they get smoother as the number increases.  I have them from #4 to #11.  Watching Raby work convinced me of the value.

I've tried adding photos, but the only way I can get them on the computer is to email them from the phone to this computer.  Cannot transfer from my nice camera at all.

Craig, you’re right on - Liogier rasps are supposed to be the best, and I have used one (Ian Pratt had a few of them at the class in Ohio). I have one on order direct from France, but there’s been no word on when that might be filled. It’s been about 6 weeks now. They appear to be out of stock everywhere else (Woodcraft etc.) and unavailable until some time in late May.
David Shotwell

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2022, 03:11:16 AM »
Did some carving today, trying to keep it shallow.