Author Topic: First time using Iron Nitrate on my Kibler Colonial rifle  (Read 1414 times)

Offline duca

First time using Iron Nitrate on my Kibler Colonial rifle
« on: April 06, 2022, 05:48:12 PM »
Hey guy’s was wondering when staining with Iron Nitrate do you also go into the Patchbox cavity and underneath the sliding cover? I have not Had the pleasure of handling original rifles. I could only go by pictures and books that I have. Some look pretty dark in there. But that could be just from age. I know it’s not recommended to use on the other inlets. Also if I am to understand correctly, after the first coat of the iron nitrate and heating process., If I am not happy with the darkness of The first coat, I can re-coat with iron nitrate again and then heat?
Thanks
Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: First time using Iron Nitrate on my Kibler Colonial rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 06:02:43 PM »
From a historical perspective, leave the stain out of the box inlet.  Only visible areas were stained or finished.  In practice, I would usually color the box inlet a touch with some combination of oil, pigments or dyes.  This was more to imitate raw oxidized wood rather than an original stained / finish surface.

Jim

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 06:06:06 PM »
I have used the iron nitrate stain inside the box cavity but only after I have applied and blushed the outside surface of the stock. I don’t blush the stain on the inside of the box cavity either. It will leave you with a nice “old” look.
 You might want to consider making up a “cocktail” of stain combinations to enhance the iron nitrate stain after blush. I’ve found Laurel Mountain Lancaster Maple to be a pleasing addition.
 Experiment on scrap pieces of your project.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 06:18:31 PM »
Hey guy’s was wondering when staining with Iron Nitrate do you also go into the Patchbox cavity and underneath the sliding cover? I have not Had the pleasure of handling original rifles. I could only go by pictures and books that I have. Some look pretty dark in there. But that could be just from age. I know it’s not recommended to use on the other inlets. Also if I am to understand correctly, after the first coat of the iron nitrate and heating process., If I am not happy with the darkness of The first coat, I can re-coat with iron nitrate again and then heat?
Thanks
Anthony

I only stain visible areas. You can recoat and it may darken it more. But wood is wood and it tends to come out the way IT wants. If you use a natural oil finish it will darken it a little more over a week or two.

The bottom rifle is 2 coats with a a rottenstone rub back looks darker here than it is in real life.
Upper rifle is one coat with less rubbing. But its two different pieces of wood and the lighter one has some pretty dark areas that pretty much obscured the curl and I did rub these areas out pretty aggressively and it helped a little. Finish is a shop made linseed oil varnish.
Neither rifle is shown in it actual color.  I have another I did a few years back that is much redder. Same stain. Though the bottom rifle here was stained with a batch that is, I think, a little stronger than the first coat but???

Here is the bottom rifle in natural light out on the deck

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline duca

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 06:31:55 PM »
Thanks sooo much guys! Can’t wait to get to this Step. Rifle is assembled and almost ready for stain and finish. Now work gets in the way, Rrrr 😫… Dphariss Nice Rifles! Thanks for the pic’s.

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 11:45:09 PM »
Dan, your "bottom rifle" has a wonderful subtle "old" look about it - thanks for showing and explaining.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.