Author Topic: Smooth bore rear sight  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Bushfire

Smooth bore rear sight
« on: April 04, 2022, 12:17:33 PM »
My state has smoothbore specific restrictions (see below) which require a rear sight on smooth bores. I want something that that can either be removed or will not affect bird hunting as a shotgun.

I thought about cutting up a cold can and making a rudimentary rear sight stuck on with blue tack that I could remove but consistency taking it on and off would be hard I imagine.

Any suggestions?

Birddog6

Re: Smooth bore rear sight
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 12:30:39 PM »
Just put 2 sights on it & be done with it.  Then if you want to take them off just tap them out
of the dovetail & go on. You can put a blank in it when not hunting, or on front put a dovetailed
sight with a bead, or nothing.
It reads you must have them, so have them.

But the easiest solution is have both guns.

Besides, you are supposed to have a different gun for every animal you hunt. So you may need
25-100 dif ones. Ask my wife.  We don't have multi-task rifles at my house.  I am working of a
"Possum" rifle right now. Finished a "Coon" rifle 6 mo ago.  It was right after the "Weasel" rifle.
We don't have any weasels but if they ever show up here, I am prepared.  8) 

Uh Ohhhh.   :o   It just hit me, I don't have a "dillo" rifle  :o and we are getting them. These truckers
keep hauling them armadillos over from MS & tossing them out on our highways here, & eventually
one is bound to survive & I must prepare.  ???  Yep....  Need a "dillo" rifle for sure.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 12:43:44 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 12:50:06 PM »
Besides, you are supposed to have a different gun for every animal you hunt. So you may need
25-100 dif ones. Ask my wife.

I really like the way you think. I am adopting this philosophy. I’ll need a woodcock fowler and a pheasant fowler, and probably something for ducks. What about different duck species?

But I also agree. Probably best to just add the rear site and be legal. And now I need to go take a peek at Michigan’s regulations as that never occurred to me and I’m building a fowler on which I did not intend to put a rear sight.
David Shotwell

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
Put a peep sight on the tang screw.  This is one I was experimenting with.  I drilled 3 holes to see which one worked for elevation, but never drilled them out large enough for a good sight picture. 

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 03:05:54 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 02:24:46 PM »
        The simplest and easiest to remove is a peep sight as shown below.  I have made a number of these from simple sheet steel .040 thick.  Adjustable for windage and elevation.  Make sure to drill the hole out to about 5/16 for good view through the sight, especially in the dark woods.    Ron 

number gif generator
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 03:54:55 PM »
I do not want to cast aspersions on your state. After all most states DNR's are managed by complete morons. To be clear could you please say what State has decided to micromanage what sights are required for smooth bored weapons?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 06:46:47 PM »
Although modern there’s the marbles  fold down rear sight even has adjustment for elevation .

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 07:04:59 PM »
Keith, please remember the "Nauga's"!  They used to be everywhere, and in almost any color.  Still seen in many locations.

And Unicorns!  Lord, don't forget these - you never know when one might make an appearance.

Monkeys sometimes appear, especially the flying type.  And pink elephants.

Speaking of elephants, did you know they sometimes camouflage themselves in trees?  Do a darn good job of it too, almost never spotted.

All good reasons for expanding your collection of necessary firearms.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 07:21:29 PM »
In not too many issues ago there was an article in Muzzleloader Magazine about how to make a removable, magnetic rear sight.  the author used the base of a magnetic name tag as the means to attach it

Kevin

Birddog6

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 03:11:25 AM »
Keith, please remember the "Nauga's"!  They used to be everywhere, and in almost any color.  Still seen in many locations.
And Unicorns!  Lord, don't forget these - you never know when one might make an appearance.
Monkeys sometimes appear, especially the flying type.  And pink elephants.
Speaking of elephants, did you know they sometimes camouflage themselves in trees?  Do a darn good job of it too, almost never spotted.
All good reasons for expanding your collection of necessary firearms.

I will add those to the list.  I have a monkey rifle, but not a Flying Monkey one.  Have to be a fowler or double barrel for those.  And have a Elephant rifle but not one for Camo-Elephants !  :D  Definitely need that, heck, they may sneak up on me !   8)

Offline BrianS

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 03:17:44 AM »
It is funny that Nauga’s got mentioned. I didn’t know that anyone remembered. I have a Nauga from the 1960’s or 70’s:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:24:14 AM by BrianS »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2022, 03:49:56 AM »
Nice full body mount on that Nauga.  ;D

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 03:57:44 AM »
I do not want to cast aspersions on your state. After all most states DNR's are managed by complete morons. To be clear could you please say what State has decided to micromanage what sights are required for smooth bored weapons?
I believe he’s in Australia.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 12:40:21 AM »
Keith, about your 'dillo rifle:  You will need a multi-barrel one if you go hunt in the spring.

Armadillos are noted for always having FOUR identical babies.  True - after the ovum is fertilized, it splits into FOUR!  And thus they have four boys or four girls.  It is fun when they get to be 3-4 weeks old, and the four of them are hopping over each other, tumbling, etc.  With those long ears, they look a wee bit like armored rabbits.

They are also excellent to eat, a bit reminiscent of pork.  They are insect eaters, which are mainly protein, so great to keep you supplied with protein in a survival situation.  Very easy to clean, make a slit along where the belly meets the shell, and tumble that nice red meat right on out of there.  BBQ is especially good.

It is advised to cook them thoroughly, as in the distant past, they were shown to sometimes be carriers of leprosy.  And we being who and what we are, the first things to go are the fingers with which you hold the chisels.  Then you'd have to talk your wife into holding the chisels where you want to cut the wood.

So, a larger barrel for the Mamma, maybe a .32 or so.  then four barrels about .17, you can get the whole batch!

Aren't you glad I was a wildlife biologist?  gives you reason for even more MLs in your rack!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.