Author Topic: Attaching under rib to swamped barrel  (Read 1095 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Attaching under rib to swamped barrel
« on: April 11, 2022, 09:18:40 PM »
HELP!

Okay gang, I’ve never built a half stock!

I am building an English Sporting rifle, and have NEVER put on an under rib.

To add o that, it’s a Rice swamped barrel, 1 ⅛” breech.
So two questions.
Easiest way to attach?
What under rib? 1 ⅛”, or 1”?
Thanks in advance!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Attaching under rib to swamped barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 10:36:44 PM »
I've done it on tapered barrels by just using the barrel dimensio  at the muzzle for the rib. I'm sure that someone here has done for a swamp. My guess would  be to use the dimension of the waist & get the closest diameter. The easiest & quickest way to attach the rib is solder, but I don't know what them Britishers did. I've used screws but the pucker factor is high for me drilling & tapping. Once had a certified gunsmith drill into the bore & then not tell me.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Joey R

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:11:10 AM »
Solid or hollow?
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 12:44:33 AM »
Dane, this might help.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=29600.0

I am afraid all my half stocked originals are English fowlers with octagon to round barrels.  The ribs are soldered and they taper in height toward the muzzle to accommodate a ramrod with swelled tip.  They appear to be soldered.  I don't know how they handled a swamped tapered and flared octagon barrel.  A simple tapered barrel would be just like my fowlers with the rib lowering in height toward the muzzle. On a swamped barrel I doubt they worried about the rib being the mirror profile of the bottom of the barrel so the rod is parallel with the bore.  I am guessing  they still tapered the rib for the flare at the muzzle and that was enough to bring the rib up close to the thin waist such that the rib could just be curved a little and it would not be noticeable. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 12:51:07 AM »
Taylor's Lang has an under rib on it's swamped barrel. Perhaps he will chime in.
It's not a huge swamp, but is swamped, seems to me.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 01:02:14 AM »
I used Taylor's tutorial on a Pete Allen box lock half stock with success.
The caution I would add is " make sure your pins are squared up" I had a time lining them up with close fitting holes in the solid under-rib because I let them come out of alignment while staking them.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline sdilts

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 03:04:21 AM »
I've done several halfstocks with swamped barrels and found the best thing to use is the hollow rib from MBS. One size fits all. I solder them on with Solder-It paste solder. Got one under construction now and will probably solder on the rib tomorrow.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 03:57:13 AM »
Forgot to mention that with the MBS hollow rib there is a lip that overhangs the barrel flat. By varying the clamp force, you can have the rib follow the swamp or have it run straight.