Author Topic: Can I bend a steel trigger guard with a propylene torch?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Can I bend a steel trigger guard with a propylene torch?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2022, 02:23:22 AM »
I cold bend triggerguards and buttplates. Both steel and brass usually with no problems. It's all about the "feel" of the metal to get a good cold bend. Be real careful with brass and don't overbend any more than is neccesary. The buttplates I hold in a vise and use a large adjustable wrench that spans the entire part, then bend it using the wrench.
Small increments help prevent cracks and will eventually get you there.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2022, 06:44:36 PM »
For what it is worth, I've successfully straightened and hardened knife blanks using a MAP/Pro torch with firebricks as backing, though I admit to some serious warping issues which were probably unrelated to the heat source. I have no doubt that you could get your trigger guard up to cherry red with one, though juggling the triggerguard, torch, and hammer/pliers is likely to be something of a trial. I've never messed with a cast steel triggerguard, so I can't comment on the workability of the steel at that heat, though.

If you are going to anneal, I suggest you go the coals route, though, as getting the whole piece up to critical heat and and keeping it there long enough to get it buried in ash or sand is likely to be rather difficult. If you have a woodstove and are still running it this late in the year, I've found that throwing in a piece of steel in the woodstove and letting it get to heat before shutting the stove down for the night works very well for annealing old files.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2022, 06:57:34 PM »
Thanks again everyone. I gave the MAP/Pro torch a go last night and was able to get it plenty hot and successfully bend where I needed to bend. I still need to do some tweaking but I’m in good shape now.
David Shotwell

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2022, 10:08:58 PM »
I’ve got one to bend similar to the OP and also appreciate the wisdom shared here.