Author Topic: Oil vs Crisco  (Read 2600 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Oil vs Crisco
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:13:34 AM »
Do patches lubed with olive oil keep well for extended periods, say, a year or more?  How does it compare with other lubes for shooting without wiping between shots?  I use Crisco for my first load when hunting and Hoppes for reloads and at the range and was curious if olive oil would work.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

sniper68

Re: Oil vs Crisco
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
I know Crisco lubed patches will give you problems  over an extended period. I'm not sure what other lubes will do. After one bad experience, I now vacuum pack them and put them in the freezer. Had some over ten years with no deterioration. A good quality freezer bag will work also. Just remove as much air as possible.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »
over extended periods of time, the cloth loses it's integrity. Olive oil isn't as good a lube for me, as neetsfoot oil or mink oil.  I know the neetsfoot oiled heavy patches for the 14 bore lasted many years and remained just fine.  It's the only one I left that long.

Best to lube only enough patches to use for the day or week.

JBlk

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »
Several years ago I used a large chunk of denim that I had soaked in melted Crisco as patch material.The caliber of the rifle was a .32 and I used it as a squirrel rifle.I used that same patch material for several years without re soaking it .I never experience any reloading problems until I had fired eight or nine shots.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:42:34 AM »
James - was the patch material letting you down due to degredation? So far, with my .32, I've had 80 shot days with spit patch, Windshield Washer fluid + soap, as well as with only Mink oil, and never had difficulty loading - the 80'th or 90th, loading exactly the same as the first.

I think the very small bores will allow much thinner patches than the larger bores, as I'm using a ball that's almost .010" smaller than the bore and a thin, .018" patch.  That patch material is useless in any other rifle that I have, even with balls only .005" under. Since I have several yards of it, I'm glad it works in the .32.