Author Topic: Pecatonica Verner flintlock kit  (Read 1814 times)

Online hawkeye

Pecatonica Verner flintlock kit
« on: April 12, 2022, 08:36:33 PM »
Hi guys, I only assembled in the past 2 rifle kits, so I have no experience in building from a blank.
So, has anybody build or seen a Verner kit rifle from pecatonica? Recommendations or critics on that one?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Pecatonica Verner flintlock kit
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:58:26 PM »
Your best bet is to study the pictures in Shumway's Rifles of Colonial America Vol. I, and compare them to the Pecetonica stock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:16:30 PM »
Yes, I built the Pecatonica Verner kit almost two years ago. Some things I would have done differently had I built it today, notably the lock panels and moldings. But the kit was very enjoyable to build and, it is a nice gun to shoot.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 10:58:06 PM »
        The very best photos of "The Verner" rifle from many angles with many details are in Dave Hanson's book "The American Longrifle, its Art and Evolution."   The book is well worth every penny if you are considering building a good representation of the original.  While Bod did a very nice job of building a rifle on a Verner architecture, the details are nothing like the original Verner.  There are only two signed rifles by Verner I have had the pleasure of handling both of them.  He was one of the very best of the Golden Age.   
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 11:47:38 PM »
Yes certainly studying originals would be vital when making a truer copy. Not sure if even the hardware provided by Pecatonica is correct historically. I didn’t think if the OP wanted to recreate one more authentic to the originals. My Pecatonica Verner kit was for me just a fun gun to build and shoot.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 05:05:34 AM »
A few months ago, I bought a different kit by Pecatonica River.  The lock inlet was quite good, but too far to the rear.  I moved the barrel back and continued on. I spoke with them before ordering the kit as I wanted to use a different sideplate  I got the idea they machined the stock there immediately after I placed my order.  You may want to discuss the lock inlet placement before or at the time you order it.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Online hawkeye

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 08:24:08 AM »
Bob, even when not historical 100% correct, your build turned out well. Does it have a straight or swamped barrel. Looks nice wood to, did you order a upgraded wood?
Will look in some books to
Hawkeye

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 01:31:48 PM »
Hawkeye, it’s a straight 7/8” .45 barrel. I didn’t know that they would inlet swamped barrels at the time or I would have gone that route. (They did a swamped Rice barrel for a Tennessee Classic rifle that was great, but set about 1/4” too far back but an easy fix).
That was their premium grade Curly Maple.
As folks have said before, they are great people to work with.

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 03:12:58 PM »
A few years ago I bought a Hawken parts set from Pecatonica  and upon arrival looked it over and found that the lock inlet was mislocated. Called them and the next day drove down and they agreed that the lock inlet was  indeed wrong. They then showed me another stock which had too short a LOP so they started to duplicate another precarve, I had originally  ordered a Grade 4 and the new stock was a grade 5.... very vivid curl.  A happy drive home and encountered no further problems w/ the  build. The curl doesn't stand out in the photo. Nice people to deal w/......Fred

instagram download your own photos

Online hawkeye

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 04:04:58 PM »
The two rifles assembled before bought over a friend up here, and they also came from Pecatonica.
One was a Jaeger and the other a Armstrong rifle.
I was pleased with both
But love the graceful lines of a Verner
Hawkeye

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 05:49:43 PM »
Bob,
I like how your rifle came out you did a good job on it. I have dealt with Pecatonica a few times and they are great to work with I have not had problems with their inlets so far. I would highly recommend them and I will use them again.
Rob