Author Topic: Longrifle Identification  (Read 2070 times)

compassneedle

Longrifle Identification
« on: March 31, 2022, 03:58:36 PM »
Recently I purchased this longrifle. I am not that familiar with them and in attempting to research it I found this excellent site. The barrel is .40 cal, 7/8 inches across the flats and 41 3/8 inches long. In a panel with wavy edges on top of the barrel it is marked D H in script letters. The H did not photograph well so have included a drawing of it. The lock is marked Warranted. The hammer and lock have some light rather rudimentary "engraving". Opinions regarding maker, age and area of origin would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline yesterdayschild

Re: Longrifle Identification
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 08:42:25 PM »
I can't tell you anything about it but, I really like the looks of it!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Attaching Photos to A Post
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 05:17:46 PM »
Patchbow and the general line of it looks western Pennsylvania, Pittsburg area, probably originally flint. Have to dig out my book.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 12:07:32 AM »
Back action lock. Never flint.
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 04:35:47 AM »
DH?  I know I’ve seen those patchbox side plates before
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 04:22:21 PM »
Don’t see any wood patchwork and since it has a back action lock, very unlikely to ever been flint.
Bob

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 05:32:22 PM »

The initials are not the same but the border is. Mine is a Alexander Dalby from Washington county in western Pa. I have also seen this border on other western pa. rifles.
Barry

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 05:59:23 PM »
    Is it just my ancient eyes, or is the bore way off center? 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2022, 06:20:55 PM »
As stated,a back action lock and never was a flintlock.Run a long rod down the barrel and see if it has a long forgotten load in it
do you plan to fire it? Don't until a gunsmith familiar with muzzle loaders replaces the drum and nipple and takes a close look at
the breech plug threads.As it is it is a nice looking antique and worth keeping.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 08:32:15 PM »
    Is it just my ancient eyes, or is the bore way off center?

Wee bit on the "High" side, looks to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

compassneedle

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 03:41:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. Your information is greatly appreciated. I had intended to take the rifle to the Baltimore show in March to acquire information , but I live in Canada and the border issues re COVID testing would have made my return difficult. Haven't been able to attend for three years now. Two replies have suggested a western Pennsylvania origin and the style of the initials and border is very similar to the Alexander Dalby rifle in Barry's photo. And as Dan'l1946 noted, the bore is indeed off centre. Is this common in this vintage and type of rifle? As advised by Bob Roller I checked and believe the rifle is loaded. There is about 3/4 inches of something down at the breech plug. I don't have a ball puller long enough so will have to make something. I don't intend to fire it. When posting the original photos I forgot these two. Does this "plate" have a specific purpose? Is it a repair?

Offline Longknife

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 03:48:01 PM »
When drilling the ram rod hole if the drill wanders and comes out at the bottom of the stock the hole is covered with a
"wear" plate...ORR it might have been just added as a wear plate....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 03:54:59 PM »
Stock probably wore through to the RR channel due to hard use or being carried in some kind of binding while on horse back over many years. Wood would  have been thin at that area.

compassneedle

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 08:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the wear plate information, much appreciated.