Author Topic: Dovetails & underlugs  (Read 894 times)

Offline Ezra

Dovetails & underlugs
« on: April 22, 2022, 11:16:41 PM »
I was reviewing Mike Brooks rifle building tutorial yesterday and question came to my mind.  Mike clearly outlined how to make the underlug and dovetail but my question has to do with placement.  For example, I have a very long (50 1/2") swamped octagon Hoyt barrel.  Is there some kind of generally accepted distance between lugs?  As well, I assume just don't place them too close to where your ramrod pipe pins are placed?  Thanks. 

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Dovetails & underlugs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 11:21:27 PM »
I decide on the front and rear pin placement and then space out the middle ones as even as I can, making sure not to interfere with the thimbles.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 11:38:50 PM »
I do as Jeff does. My very front and rear sometimes vary a little. Rear one I usually get close to the middle of the rear portion of forearm and try to get the front behind the end/muzzle cap. Any center ones go evenly betwixd the others+ or -.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 11:56:15 PM »
I like to make my lugs out of " T " iron. The picture is of one not yet finished as its too thick but I also cut the center of the base out so the key is a about 10/1000s higher which seems to help  me shape the forearm less slab sided.

Offline Not English

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 08:03:38 PM »
I use the span of my fingers and thumb (about 9") for the rear underlug. The front thimble is usually 3-4" back from the muzzle depending on muzzlecap and front thimble. The middle 2 are  spaced equidistant. Pretty much the same as Jeff said.