Author Topic: English Flint belt pistol  (Read 889 times)

Offline borderdogs

English Flint belt pistol
« on: April 29, 2022, 04:16:22 PM »
Hi Guys,
I am beginning to put parts together to build an English type belt pistol in flint probably .54 or .58 caliber. I plan to keep the barrel straight octagon and a length to at most 6" but preferably 4-5". Maybe use a belt hook. Its not something I am going to start right away I have a few projects I am working on but I wanted to start assemble to parts for it though. I planning on using steel parts with an iron butt cap not sure yet whether it will be a full stock or half stock yet but am planning on a bag type grip with checkering and some engraving. I plan on using a flint tang not hooked and will use tenon and escutcheon plates to hold the barrel. I am also planning on using a single trigger rather than any kind of set trigger with a trigger plate. I have a curly maple stock I got from Tiger Hunt but might use a walnut stock if I can find one.

I am not sure what lock to use for this project, originally I was thinking of using one of the Chamber's late Ketland locks I have but not sure it would be over sized I was also thinking of a small Siler or one of those Twigg type locks L & R make. From looking at what suppliers have I might have to fabricate a trigger guard and trigger plate.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments on this project especially on lock, tang, and barrel suggestions.
Thanks,
Rob

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: English Flint belt pistol
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 04:56:46 PM »
Hi,
I urge you to use a hooked breech if you want it to represent a good quality English pistol from the late 18th century.  The lock will be the problem particularly if your barrel is short. The L&R Bailes or baby Manton lock is what a lot of folks will recommend but the curvature on the bottom of that lock usually creates an awkward appearance. Ideally, you want the lock to be no more than 4 5/8" long.  Smaller would even be better.  Chris Hirsch has several parts sets that might work well for very late 18th century and early 19th century.  His English pistol lock with safety bolt and his Spies lock could be good choices.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 05:23:10 PM »
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the suggestions! I figured the lock would be the biggest hangup on this. I was on Chris Hirchs site last night looking at some of those locks you mentioned and I liked the English pistol lock with the safety. I figure the period of this pistol would be 1790-1810. I have some pictures of a half stock pistol that I am using as a model for the pistol that pistol does not have a hooked tang hence why I was thinking not hooked. Once I get most of the parts assembled and decide on barrel length I plan on making a drawing.
Thanks,
Rob
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 05:27:31 PM by borderdogs »

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 04:34:11 AM »
Hi Guys,
Chris Hirsch has a lock I like one mentioned by Dave (Smart Dog) the pistol shown in the link is similar to the pistol I am planning on building. Here is a link to that lock and the picture on the pistol:

http://www.texasguntrade.com/Spiespistol.htm

Rob