Author Topic: Charleville musket  (Read 1335 times)

Offline ntqlvr1948

Charleville musket
« on: January 18, 2024, 12:12:53 AM »
I recently picked up this Charleville musket that is smaller than the infantry musket, and it has brass parts on it. I cannot find this gun in Moller's book. Someone says he thinks it is a 1766 marine musket. It is in great condition except the hammer has the ear broken off.  Can anyone here give me the true ID on it? It is just below an infantry musket on my wall.
thanks

Offline wormey

Re: Charleville musket
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 01:44:51 AM »
According to Didier Bianchi`s book French Military Small Arms, there are a number of musket models made with brass bands and most were made for the French Navy.  There are exceptions to that as some were made for the Imperial Palace Guards.  I have one of these as well and had similar questions.  Suggest you get a copy of the book.  It is current and available from several sources.  Wormey

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 03:12:43 AM »
Thank you Wormey..I am getting a copy of the book. This gun came out of an estate in North Carolina. On the left side of the barrel is the number 2247, and I can tell that they were there from the beginning. Does yours have a similar number?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 05:13:23 AM »
This isn’t a Dragoon musket or a Cavalry musketoon, so I would guess it may be a Navy musket.
Psalms 144

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 05:55:39 AM »
Thank you Wormey..I am getting a copy of the book. This gun came out of an estate in North Carolina. On the left side of the barrel is the number 2247, and I can tell that they were there from the beginning. Does yours have a similar number?

Those stamped numbers look to be a much later font to me. Perhaps otherwise to somebody else.

It is a great looking short musket in all respects.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline wormey

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 08:09:39 AM »
I`ll take a look and get back to you.  I am located in N.C., but my musket came out of California!!  Wormey

Offline wormey

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 04:37:21 AM »
No similar numbers or marks on mine.  Wormey

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 10:59:36 PM »
Wormey, I got the book by Bianchi, and my gun does not appear in it.

Gene

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 07:53:48 PM »
The barrel is 38 inches long. And every part of the gun is smaller in size. But this gun is not described in the book or in moller's book. So I guess you can call it a navy or marine musket. Maybe a lighter gun for an officer.

Offline wormey

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 10:39:45 PM »
Mine`s not in there either.  From what I deduce (may be wrong) you are left with a couple of options.  Brass mounts seem to occur on ceremonial pieces like the palace guards, dragoon (shorter, lighter pieces), and in most cases on pieces intended for naval use.  Mine certainly does not appear for ceremonial purposes and is too large for use on horseback, so I`m left to infer naval use.  Wormey

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 12:28:06 AM »
 Thanks, so what I can see that if they are not in the books they are very rare. It had to be very low production. I got it cheap and I am very happy to have it.

Offline Eric Laird

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 05:41:12 PM »
Just thinking beyond the norm - could this be a "cadet musket" from one of the military academies like the Ecole Militaire in Paris, or Saint-Cyr? If they had such things it might fit with the slightly smaller size and ceremonial brass furniture. Does the book list such weapons? Perhaps contacting the curators at the institutions might be worthwhile - I expect they have some sort of museum at the various academies.

Just some random thoughts - and likely worth what you paid for them!

Eric
Eric Laird