Author Topic: how to darken engraving cuts?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline martin9

how to darken engraving cuts?
« on: May 31, 2022, 02:58:49 PM »
I was asked to engrave a small plaque for a buddy. On guns I darken my brass with super blue or HH aging solution and then bring it back to where I want it. The darkening solution or bluing will stay in the cuts some so that works for me. This will be a shiny plaque though so no darkening solution. I've seen engraving that obviously has something in the cuts to darken them. What is it? I tried fingerprint ink but it wipes right out.

Offline smoke and flames

Re: how to darken engraving cuts?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 03:28:46 PM »
I use speeedball block printing ink, oil base, to darken my engraving. Rub it in to the cuts and then lightly wipe it off the surface with a paper towel until the surface is clean and the ink is in the cuts. let it dry for a day or two and then you should spray something on the surface of the plaque to prevent it from tarnishing like a spray lacquer or even a good pasted wax.
Others I work with also like to rub in rustoleum flat black enamel paint in place of the printing ink

Offline smoke and flames

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 05:10:21 PM »
If the ink is rubbing out of the cuts then you are rubbing too hard.  I also found that fingerprint ink is not what it use to be. It might even be water based now. But the block printing ink works for me. Just go slow and lightly when rubbing it off

Offline martin9

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 06:09:05 PM »
Will do, Thanks!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 02:04:31 AM »
Martin, you can use some felt pads for rubbing.  The kind that one uses with pumice or rottenstone work fine.  Leaves the ink or paint down at the bottom of the cuts.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 07:00:19 AM »
I've used Rustoleum paint on modern guns with great success, but never on a muzzle loader.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 05:59:54 PM »
I use ink and wipe the surface with a piece of regular copy paper.  No ink is dragged out of the cut.
Kevin