Author Topic: Kasenit for springs  (Read 1226 times)

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Kasenit for springs
« on: June 06, 2022, 03:51:39 AM »
So I assume we all know that for simple little springs that don't have to move very far - mostly box releases etc - you can take some mild-ish steel and cold hammer the heck out of it to get some work hardened springyness.  Of course you can do the same with brass too if brass springs are your thing.  But I've been using some little scrap cutoffs of really old salvage iron which apparently has a negative carbon content, and even beating the $#@* out of it to thin it out will not render it springy in any conceivable way.  Just for giggles I made up a semi circular spring for a box release I'm currently making, all crude and attached to the inside of the buttplate, and I heated it up pretty darned bright orange and dunked it in kasenit a couple of times, then water quenched.  I did then draw it back to a light blue.  And gosh darn it, it's springy as all get out.  I'm going to assume that because the springy portion was hammered out very thin (probably only @ 1/32") that the kasenit and multiple heats seems to have converted a good portion of it to a steel with enough carbon to actually work as a spring?  Don't know but it sure does work well with a lot of flex available, and bounces right back.

This is real kasenit btw, I don;t know what else is comparable now that it's off the market.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Kasenit for springs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 05:15:31 AM »
I’m not surprised with thin stock. When I’ve done pack case hardening I wire some stuff together using plain black mild steel wire about 1/16” diameter. After a water quench the wire is usually hard through and through and snaps when untwisting it. Hard through and through.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 07:45:57 PM »
Eric,

I have seen on other board folks using a product called Cherry Red.  I still have Kasenit so I haven't tried it yet but I'm getting low. 

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 08:08:37 PM »
This is good news and advice....thanks Eric!
I once made a fine screw out of a nail, turned on my lathe and case hardened it.  I didn't draw the temper, and half the screw head broke off when I installed it.  It's easy to get too much hardness in a small piece of steel/iron, so drawing the temper is key.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 08:17:44 PM »
This is good news and advice....thanks Eric!
I once made a fine screw out of a nail, turned on my lathe and case hardened it.  I didn't draw the temper, and half the screw head broke off when I installed it.  It's easy to get too much hardness in a small piece of steel/iron, so drawing the temper is key.
Sounds like that nail might have been amenable to quench hardening that the Kasenit finished it off. Also any springs made like described here can be classified as "serendipity",a happy accident IMHO.Why bother when a variety of spring material is available from MLBS or McMaster-Carr.I buy the really thin 1075 from MLBS sheared to width for the front trigger tension springs on all my set triggers.
Bob Roller

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 08:48:37 PM »
I agree Bob, I have plenty of spring stock and high carbon I bought years ago from Admiral Steel.  Very good stuff.  I was just thinking about little "don't need to move much" springs, and thinking about folks who may not have had access to a lot of good spring material but had scrap of questionable origin.  Usually there is enough carbon present that simply hammering it cold to thickness will work harden it enough to be fully functional.  Same with brass - I've seen some originals with brass springs, which blew my mind the first time I saw one.  But they're still working, as long as too much isn't asked of them.  Just fun experimental kind of stuff.  In fact I'm going to try a brass spring right now and see how it holds up as a box kick spring.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 08:15:02 AM »
E.K, I have done the same thing with mild steel and "cherry red" case hardening compound for patchbox lid springs.  So far so good!

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=40237.msg410228#msg410228

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing