Author Topic: hoppes #9 plus  (Read 8060 times)

jamesthomas

hoppes #9 plus
« on: October 16, 2009, 05:34:42 AM »
 Anyone know where i can find some hoppes#9 plus in atl. ga. thats what i'm looking for roundball!

jamesthomas

Re: hoppes #9 plus
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:57:54 AM »
 How's about dixie gun works fake spem whale oil?how good of a job does it do?It's a bit less expensive.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:28:21 PM »
This is how I bought mine...$4.38 per bottle...excellent lube at very low cost.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/87219-1.html

That is a great price for Hoppes.  I bought a gallon drum that was actually a little more per ounce than what you paid!  I've also found Black Solve from DGW to be as good as Hoppes and cheaper.  However, it is mixed with water and doesn't lend itself to long stays in the barrel.  It will dry out after a while and has rust possibilities as long as it's wet.  Great for the range, though, and and a patch or two of it on a cleaning rod can get stuff out even when the bore appears clean.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
Hoppe's 9 plus is 75% +- water. I would not use it for a patch lube while hunting anymore than spit or blacksolve.
Water and petroleum distillate is not much for lubrication or rust protection.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

mike e

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 04:16:54 AM »
Hey James, can you recommend a good load for armadillos?

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 04:52:38 AM »
 Well for my 'dillo, which was a 12 banded non-typical, :oShot at 10 feet i used my regular hunting load which is 70 grns of swiss .18 patch and a .490 rb. Though you could get by with 50 grns. ;D Mine was charging me so i'm glad i had the heavier load,Stopped it cold in it's tracks.                                   

mike e

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 05:00:21 AM »
James, did you go for the head mount or the full body mount?

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:01:50 AM »
 Thats my brother folks bustin' my chop's because a 'dillo is the only animal i've shot with my flinter so far.Hope to break her in this year tho'

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:25:57 AM »
This is how I bought mine...$4.38 per bottle...excellent lube at very low cost.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/87219-1.html

That is a great price for Hoppes.

Great for the range.

Yeah, outstanding price...I only use it at the range, not hunting...shoot 50 shot range sessions year round no matter what time of year or the humidity and never have to wipe between shots...one cleaning patch before the drive home looks like its only been shot once...Hoppes for the range and NL1000 for hunting are all I use.

Hoppes is what I always use at the range and I like being able to shoot all day without cleaning.  When hunting, I use an oil/grease lubed patch for the first load.  If I fire the rifle all reloads are with Hoppes lube.  I will have to clean the gun anyway.  If I don't fire during the hunt I have no problem leaving the charge in the bore because it is lubed with a non corrosive grease.  Great stuff alright.

Offline satwel

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »
james,

Dixie Gun Works' fake sperm whale oil is jojoba oil. It's squeezed from jojoba beans and contains a naturally occurring wax. I've used TOTW mink oil, spit, Hoppes #9, olive oil, canola oil, wonderlube, etc for patch lube, but I always come back to the jojoba oil. I can shoot all day without wiping between shots. Recovered patches could be reused.
You can buy jojoba oil in 1 and 4 oz bottles at natural food grocery stores but you will pay a lot for it. $6-7 for a 4oz bottle. I did a search online and found an herbal remedy website selling 16 0z bottles for $14.95 plus shipping.

Give jojoba oil a try-it's the next best thing to sperm whale oil. I think you'll like it.

billd

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »
Hoppes #9 Plus.....Am I the only person out there who doesn't like this stuff?  I bought a 8oz. bottle, came in a white plastic bottle with a squirt cap on it. Instructions says it contains kerosene. 

Someone told me this is not the good stuff. Reformulated or something like that.

I compared it to Lehigh, Shenandoah, spit and windshield washer fluid. All worked better.  I'm not talking accuracy issues, just fouling.

This jojoba oil...does it dry out? Is it a good hunting lube?

Bill

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:17:11 AM »
As Phariss says, Hoppes for blackpowder contains water & will give a nice fine brownrust finish to your bore. Wonder if Frank Hoppe is rotating in his grave?
It cleans OK, but so does tap water. Dry out the bore after cleaning & lube with your favorite Magic Anti-Rust, Anti-Fouling oil.
I bought two quarts before I knew better. maybe three
Anyone know if that wonderous Ballistol also contains water?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 06:28:20 AM »
Ballistol from the MSDS:
"Medicinal grad mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acids, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and and oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated...."

Isobutyl Alcohol seems the be the only hazardous ingredient.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »

I bought a 8oz. bottle, came in a white plastic bottle with a squirt cap on it. Instructions says it contains kerosene. 

The Hoppes + PB in the old white bottles is the old formula...thin and no lubricating properties I could tell...I bought several quarts at a going out of business place and just use it to soak stacks of cleaning patches...excellent for wiping the bore when pattern testing or trying new loads when I want a clean barrel every time.

The good Hoppes patch lube formula is in the current production bottles (link above) and is fantastic both as a solvent and as a patch lube.  Yes, the label say it contains kerosene...even if only a trace amount is included as an ingredient I understand law requires it be so labeled.

The gallon of Hoppes Plus I bought is pretty thick; thicker, it seems, than the previous bottle I had.  It really has to be shaken up, too.  It's a lot like paint in consistency and has a very thick material in it that must be shaken and mixed very well or it will stop up the squirt tip of the 8oz bottle.  Can you tell me what I have?  Do I have the old stuff or the new, reformulated stuff?  Whichever it is it still works great at the range.

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
Sounds like the older milky-looking Hoppe's. The new stuff is darker and lacks the milky nature.  Yes- it's a good patch lube.

Taylor's test last winter showed no rust after a week of sitting outside in the air then coming in to the warm house each night.  After a week of this, it showed no rust anywhere in the barrel, above the patched ball, underneath the patched ball or in the powder chamber.  Even though it has water in it, it seems inert - here in this part of the country at least.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:56 PM »
I think you're correct, Daryl.  The drum I received had dust stuck to the top and had settled out a good bit.  It just "looked" old.

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »
The Hoppe's 9 plus we tried back in the 70's, looked very milky and was thicker than the newer stuff. Perhaps they changed it several times.  Buddy Brad still has a couple quarts of the 'old' stuff. Was looking at it just a week or so ago- it's still milky, thick and quite slippery. Interesting.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »

Can you tell me what I have?

The old formula is very thin like alcohol...does not have any lubricity that I can feel...the current production is thicker, almost a semi-liquid...and you can feel the lubrication with your fingers

That's exactly what was shipped to me.  It's very thick with a "greasy" feel to it.  It is just so good as a patch lube I don't see how it could be improved upon...well, maybe if you didn't have to shake it.

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »
Didn't think of that- could be a shelf-life deal with the thick/thin old stuff. The darker coloured Hoppe's 9 Plus was indeed thick and creamy and very slippery - but - not as slippery as LHValley Lube, which is no longer unfortunately.