Author Topic: “New” drill press ! (Sort of)  (Read 1915 times)

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
“New” drill press ! (Sort of)
« on: June 06, 2022, 09:28:09 PM »
My goal for a long time has been to do rifles without electricity as much as possible.   I am have been pretty much there except for the drill press.   I bought this old beauty several years ago with the intention of making it useable and then using it.   Well today started off rainy , and I have no other projects and mama went to visit her sister so I tackled it.     It works !    Now I just have to figure out how/where to mount it.
Mikeyfirelock. We

Mike Mullins

Offline flinchrocket

Re: “New” drill press ! (Sort of)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 12:37:17 AM »
I think I have one of those in a barrel of oil. Haven’t been brave enough to look, yet!!

Online 2 shots

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 01:28:40 AM »
 very nice. looks like a cool tool

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 01:33:05 AM »
Looks like you'd have to be skilled in the art of patting your head while rubbing your tummy to operate that press.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 05:08:43 AM »
If I promise my wife I’ll take her out to eat and shopping maybeI can get her to turn the big wheel while I turn the little one ?   ( hmmm, maybe not a good idea)
I’m not unplugging the other one yet
Mike Mullins

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 05:26:05 AM »
You realize it's shown in the picture on it's side right? Mounted vertically is the only way the auto advance depth thingy will work.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 05:54:48 AM »
   Yes I realize it needs to be vertical….I just got it sorted out and cleaned up today.  I still haven’t decided how or where I will mount it.  Hopefully I am not missing anything on it.
Mike Mullins

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 06:12:10 AM »
Ah I didn't know those had an auto depth advance. Is the vertical crank just to give extra force if needed?

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 07:08:11 AM »
Ah I didn't know those had an auto depth advance. Is the vertical crank just to give extra force if needed?

The vertical crank will ratchet a click at a time to increase depth gradually. Release the catch and you can reverse direction and rapidly withdraw the drill bit. We left a really good one on our ranch in 1969 dang it!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 04:03:11 PM »
It looks like you may be missing part of the feed mechanism. I will take some pictures of mine later today or tomorrow to show how it works.

You are lucky that you got a chuck that holds round shank drills bits, Originally, they used bits with 1/2" shanks with a flat spot held in place with a setscrew.

Dale H

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 04:47:36 PM »
This should give you an idea how the auto advance mechanism looks although mine is cranked on the large wheel.  The small handle on top / vertical crank is for raising the shaft once the hole is drilled.  If Dale doesn't post a video, I'll try to get one later this afternoon.   I agree, updated chuck is easier than finding old usable bits. 

Cheers,
Ken

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 03:02:38 PM »
I am missing the auto advance, so I will be practicing the “Pat your head, rub your tummy” exercise…………( or probably plug the newfangled drill press in and use this one for decoration)
Mike Mullins

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 04:28:34 PM »
A very neat relic that still works.I have an ols 10x36 Atlas lathe with babbit bearings for the spindle and my Clausing mill is a 1920's design from the long ago Johansson Machine & Tool Works.Bought it new in 1967 and so far it has done all I needed it to do.It is a tool room and not a production machine.I am very close to the end of all shop work so no new machines are planned and no new material is planned either.
Bob Roller

Offline taterbug

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 10:30:27 PM »
Hey Mike, where did you find that thing?  I've got the little brother to it, I found it a few years ago at a hot rod parts swap meet, either in CP or Valpo.  My plan was to use it for drilling holes for pins, but mine is missing the auto advance too, along with a couple other parts.

This little one might look good on your wall next to yours.  Sort of a 'non-working antiques' display.  I'm trying my best to avoid getting put into such a display myself, but some days I really feel like I do belong there! 

Offline AZshot

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2022, 10:41:51 PM »
I've got a small Yankee bench drill too.  This is a wetplate photograph I made of it...can't find a modern shot.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2022, 01:18:11 AM »
Thanks for the pics guys!   Now I know what I’m dealing with……I think I can make something that will work. ( if I can build a rifle , I can make an advance mechanism out of something!)
Mikeyfirelock ( occasional eternal optimist)
Mike Mullins

Offline dstock

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2022, 06:07:39 AM »
 :-\I have in the past seen parts for those things on eBay. Haven’t looked lately but it might be worthwhile for you guys to check it out.
God Bless
Doug B

Birddog6

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
I know where one is that is very similar.  Prob not being used either & may be able to get it, come to think of it. 
Don't know why I want it, I won't use it if I got it. But someone else could.  I always liked these old Open Gear driven machines & tools. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 02:15:08 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Birddog6

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2022, 02:18:31 PM »
My goal for a long time has been to do rifles without electricity as much as possible.   I am have been pretty much there except for the drill press. 

Well, when you are ready for a forge, blower, rifling machine, drills &reamers & all the misc., contact me & I will put you right in business.  ;)