Author Topic: Tried my hand at an InvestArms Gemmer Hawken  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
Tried my hand at an InvestArms Gemmer Hawken
« on: July 01, 2022, 06:04:43 PM »
Full disclosure, I received a discount on this kit.

This winter/spring/summer (time flies) I built another Italian "hawken", this time the InvestArms Gemmer Hawken in flint.

Wanting to do something more with it, I opted to play more with the stock finish. I followed Mitch Yates' "Leman style faux striping" tutorial to give the plain euro walnut stock some flavor and then hit it with a heavy coat of Kibler's bone black to get a dark gun. The hardware was rusted with Mike Eder's "Wildcat Valley" browning solution.

I learned a lot on this kit and really enjoyed building it. Shooting it was even more fun really. I'll need some sight adjustment but the lock was nice and fast and I didn't have a hangfire at all, something I heard was going to be a problem.

I've got some pistol parts in the shop now and hope to make somekind of traditional flintlock pistol next, but with the new baby in the home that will be a ways off.

Happy to hear any feedback you might have, always ready to learn!
Hi, I知 Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
Re: Tried my hand at an InvestArms Gemmer Hawken
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »
Trying higher res images here

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 02:27:19 AM »
That痴 quite a transformation.  To my eyes, it looks a hundred times better than where it started.  Great job!

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 02:45:14 AM »
Nice upgrade on the finish.  Looks great.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 02:39:12 PM »
Thank you both. Planning a from the blank pistol here at some point for my next project

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 08:10:10 PM »
So, Ethan - TWO new babies at one time!  Going to keep your hands busy.  The first with changing diapers, the second cleaning your new rifle!!

Hoping that you have the second baby all sighted in now, and any foibles corrected.

The first, I predict, will take a bunch more years to get right.

CONGRATS!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

RTH

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 02:08:48 AM »
That "Faux striping" is a pretty interesting idea. Like so many things, yesterday I would have dismissed it, and believed I would just buy a nicer piece of wood. However today I have a project that I had to use a not so fancy piece of wood because that's what I could get in the size I need. So now this sounds like a great idea I'll have to consider. Tnx Ethan.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 03:31:21 PM »
So, Ethan - TWO new babies at one time!  Going to keep your hands busy.  The first with changing diapers, the second cleaning your new rifle!!

Hoping that you have the second baby all sighted in now, and any foibles corrected.

The first, I predict, will take a bunch more years to get right.

CONGRATS!

Thanks so much Craig, it's been an adventure. Thankfully, she isn't gunshy at all and doesn't mind shots going off in the back yard so I think she'll turn out alright ;)

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 03:32:58 PM »
That "Faux striping" is a pretty interesting idea. Like so many things, yesterday I would have dismissed it, and believed I would just buy a nicer piece of wood. However today I have a project that I had to use a not so fancy piece of wood because that's what I could get in the size I need. So now this sounds like a great idea I'll have to consider. Tnx Ethan.

Thanks RTH! The striping definitely can't live up to the real thing, but I had fun doing it. I hope you do as well. There's a long history of using faux stripes when budget or supplies didn't allow for real curl - I find it really neat.

Keep me posted on your project, would love to hear more.

Ethan