Author Topic: Wool shotgun wads  (Read 1119 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Wool shotgun wads
« on: September 20, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »
I'm looking for a source for wool shotgun cushion wads.  I mean the spongy soft type not the felt style.  I had some given to me with a shotgun I bought once and have since sold.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the information on these wads before I sold he gun and let the wads go with it.  Does anyone know of a source that has them available?  I need them for a 14 gauge, but this type in 12 gauge would work just fine.  Thanks.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline 577SXS

Re: Wool shotgun wads
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 08:23:44 PM »
Ballistics Products.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 01:10:21 AM »
Make them from an old army blanket, and a hole saw with the centering bit removed, and the teeth ground off, and edge sharpened. Give them a light dip in melted bees wax and tallow and your all set.

Hungry Horse

Offline JBJ

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 03:18:29 PM »
I have purchased sheet felt material from these folks and was pleased with what I received. Obviously, I cut  my wads from 1/4 inch thick medium density felt using a homemade punch.

http://www.durofelt.com/products.html

J.B.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 08:38:31 PM »
Thanks.  But these suggestions will all give me a felt or higher density wad than what I’m looking for.  The cushion wad I’m trying to locate is about a half inch thick, appears to be almost sponge like, and is easily compressed.  I called the guy I sold the shotgun to and he’s going to take a picture of one and send it to me to post here.  It’s pretty hard to describe but a picture would do the trick.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Telgan

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 09:29:25 PM »
Eastern Maine Shooting Supply might have what you want - I don't know how to post a link, but just google them up and you will find them. Good website

Offline DanL

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 11:35:07 PM »
Locally we can get discount store "moving blankets" they are made of the wool left over from other processes. They are thick, spongy and MAY work for you if you can find them.

DanL
From God's Farm in Alabama; God bless America & "Alba gu Brath !!"

Offline JBJ

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 11:22:00 PM »
While I used medium density felt from Duro, I noticed that they also carry "soft". Whether or not  that is as spongy as you are seeking, I don't know.

J.B.

Offline ScottH