Author Topic: A couple of my bags  (Read 5249 times)

Campchair

A couple of my bags
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »
I make some bags now and then. I'm trying to figure out how to post some photos. Comments  & help welcome. BTW: I have an Apple. Campchair - newbie

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: A couple of my bags
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »
Here is the link to the photo posting tutorial on the ALR web sight.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
Good luck
DMR

Campchair

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
Thanks, but please read my next posting. I got to start out really basic. Forum posting is very new to me - all I have used before has some sort of "browse" button - you find the photo (usually a .jpg file) and "attach" it. I can't figure out how to do that from the posting menu. Sorry, Campchair

Campchair

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »
Sorry, i posted the message at the tutorial you suggested. I've already read the tutorial and I got to get a bit more basic than the level where it starts out. That's what using a MS-base computer for 30+ years then switching to a MAC will do. (Shoulda done it years back...) Campchair PS: Just found the Spell Check!!

El Lobo

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 03:54:56 AM »
Heck man, now you have us all on pins and needles waiting to see what you post.  Way to build up the suspense.   ;D

Lobo

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 04:06:21 AM »
camp chair, if you can attach them to an email, send them to me and i'll post them here for you  beaverman@q.com

Campchair

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 06:32:43 AM »
Beaverman, did they arrive?
Been really tied up with an online course I'm taking. When I get time to catch my breath, I'll see if I can send a couple of "test" messages", and try your instructions out. I just got a new MAC so things might flow bit differently, but get  I'll get the hang of it. One thing I have learned, something new comes out, you better learn all you can about it, 'cause next thing you know, your "Old" will not exist, and the "New",like it or not, will suddenly be the "Only"!!

Right now, the biggest thing I'm having trouble with is the MAC "touch" keyboard. 25 years of pounding on a conventional PC keyboard gave me a heavy touch, and that's going to have to be unlearned. Net result is LOTS of partial and misspelled words that Spel-Chek misses. So, if my posts look a bit strange, that's what I'm going to blame it on.  ;D  (See, I learned to insert a "Smiley". Making progress already!!!!!)

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 03:50:55 AM »
Yep, here ya go! pics of campchairs bags

El Lobo

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:15:41 AM »
Those are very nicely made bags, Campchair.  And thanks to you, Beaverman, for helping him get them posted. 

Dancy

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 04:57:41 AM »
Are those rivets in the back of that first bag? That should hold it together! Good job on those.

hammerhead

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 08:48:04 PM »
those are really  nice

Campchair

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 11:50:56 PM »
No, those are 3 hand cast pewter buttons on the inside flap. That bag was sort of a re-make of one a friend of mine got somewhere. It had a leather strap, and a modern roller buckle. It originally was not lined. He wanted it sort of customized to fit his hunting needs. I started to just use it as a pattern and make a new one, but he really liked the color. I checked it and it was oak-tanned leather (not chrome) so I just re-made it. I took it apart and re-sewed it with a saddle stitch (with 2-needles) by hand with my linen thread, and added a folded strip of leather in each seam for wear protection. The real light brown leather in the flap is a pocket. The 3 silver discs are some handcast pewter buttons used to hold the pocket closed when you open the flap. (Another idea I once saw on an old pouch I examined in a private collection in Tennessee - have no idea of it's age, but it had been there for a while)  If you look close, there is a strip of deer skin that runs across the inside of the flap on the inside. It has 3 buttonholes in it, reinforced with linen thread, that the buttons button into. The "pinked" edging on the flap was added to hold the body of the pocket to the edge of the flap. I "pinked" it to match edging I had noted on several ole bags I have examined in the past.  The strap was made out of hemp webbing that I dyed in my plastic bucket of boiled walnut hulls, and the buckle was made out of an old musket sling buckle that I added a steel tongue to. I added the ticking liner too.  I then told him to go out and get some age and wear on it. Well, he removed the strap and put a wool one on it, and kept the buckle and the billets, and be darned if he didn't throw it in on a trade to a place that sells lots of hand-made guns (it has 4 words in the name.) I saw it for sale there for more $$$ that I'd ever have the nerve to ask anybody. They said "unknown maker" . Well, I called them (and even sent them a couple of these photos as proof,) and told them I knew my name pretty well, and would they like a few more similar ones!! They never responded. Oh well. The second one is 100% all mine. I dye all my own leather and soften it back down. The strap was made by some folks our church helps in the former Northern European Soviet Bloc. They raise the sheep, spin, dye (Veg.dyes), and weave the straps. The lining is 100% linen (Reproduction) that was printed on a 140 year copper roll  in England. The fabric was originally made for draperies and upholstery. It just appealed to me. Buckle was bought, rings I bent up in my shop.

Campchair

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »
Oops - made a mistake. The remade bag edging was plain, not "Pinked". The second one is the pinked one. Time makes forgetfulness. Campchair