Author Topic: Antique flintlock pistol? Any help appreciated!!  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Antique flintlock pistol? Any help appreciated!!
« on: October 26, 2022, 10:09:01 PM »
Hi folks,
I just acquired this .62 cal (approx) flintlock pistol. It arrived today. Seller advertised it as a contemporary piece, though I had my suspicions when looking at the photos (the hammer screw shape being the first clue and just the look of the gun in general).
Stock: It is Walnut I think and in fine shape except for a crack at the lock nail above the plate. It is in remarkable condition if it is original as I think it is. I thought the stock may have been re-finished but looking carefully at it, where the wood has slightly split (such as around the barrel pin holes) there is no indication or sanding or smoothing and there is no varnish in the cracks.
I love the pommel and the simple, heavy engraved borders on it. It has a retaining cap rather than a simple screw at the bottom, making me wonder if it was a higher grade pistol?
Barrel: I don't see any markings on the 22 cm/ 8-5/8" barrel except at the breech/tang connection where it has a small incised line (indexing like I think?). The front sight was filed off with a faint outline and hump where it once was. The touch hole is really big, my guess from heavy use. The barrel inside is very shiny but pitted. My guess is that someone recently cleaned it up(?). I don't have a bore light so I will get one soon.
Lock: as I mentioned the frizzen is re-surfaced. Th lock works great and is still a bit dirty. No fly. Also the pan is showing lots of pitting, again I think from heavy use. It measures 4- 1/2" long by almost 1" high. There are no markings on it as well except someone  filed a series of tiny lines on the bolster.
The ramrod is original apparently, since it fits perfectly and has the same aged look. My guess is that it had a tip of some type because there is a tiny hole at the tip and at the side neat the tip, plus it is about 3/8" short of the muzzle.  If so, that's pretty remarkable I think.
The lock functions perfectly and sparks like crazy. The frizzen had been refaced and you can see some brass colored metal in spots between the old and newer parts.
I was looking at the trigger guard and noticed how worn it is. Also the stylized acorn finial is not symmetrical which is really interesting.
Anyway, I am not a gun historian but know many here are so I am really hoping this pistol will spark some interest and perhaps get some info on it.
(And if it is in fact a contemporary piece, I will  be amazed.)
Here are some photos.
Thanks again,
Bob

image hosting services

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:15:31 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Mattox Forge

Re: Antique flintlock pistol? Any help appreciated!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 10:15:07 PM »
Does it have any proof marks on the barrel?

Mike

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 10:17:00 PM »
There are no marks at all where I can see them. Thats the strange thing

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 10:18:58 PM »
Here are some more photos.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 10:43:29 PM »
to my eye it appears to be a continental, European, antique piece. Could have been cleaned up a bit or perhaps not. Likely from the last half of the 18th century if it proves to be old. French would be my guess although without having it hand, it is hard to say. Good find in any event and it was kind of you to post photos here. Thank you! Someone will pin it down more for you, I expect.
Dick

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 10:53:41 PM »
Thanks Dick. I was wondering country of origin also. I have no clue at all... I suspect there may be marking under the barrel but I am fearful of removing it.
I see various file notches filed here and there inside the lock. They seem to be purposely made. Curious...
I was also musing about the front sight being filed off. If it was a cavalry pistol, (I suspect its a military gun) the sight might have been useless and also may in the way of the holster or something. Fun to imagine these little things. Heres a pic of where the front sight was.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:58:15 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 12:05:02 AM »
I agree with you that it does not look like a contemporary built pistol. It has European characteristics, but it has an English ordnance flavor to it. If I had to guess I would bet it is a either a contract built gun for the British built by a German contractor, or it was built for a German unit in British service (e.g. the KGL or a predecessor unit).

Mike

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 12:22:00 AM »
It is definitely old, I'd say late eighteenth century. And I say likely English.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 01:01:31 AM »
I'm certain it's old. Its appearance is consistent with the 1780s to 90s. Those butt caps with the long ears were going out of style quite rapidly by 1790 although the do appear later. If it had anything to do with the Ordnance office, even as supplied to foreign units in British service, it would have some markings. Completely unmarked raises lots of questions. It may have been purchased by one of the countries allied with Britain...I'm thinking both Portugal and Sweden which had large armies often equipped with British-style arms. Some of these were provided by the British government but I'm not certain all of them were. The other possibility is the export trade which didn't require proofs. A huge number of British-made arms went to Latin America in addition to the exports to America.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 12:44:46 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 03:13:45 AM »
Thanks guys for your thoughts and suggestions. Lots of knowledge here  :)
It is certainly a mystery without the markings. I wonder if there would be any on the bottom of the barrel. I am not considering myself taking the barrel off,  I would probably damage the piece.
I just find it fascinating that it's in such good condition. If it's the original varnish which it appears to be, it's been well cared for.
Also, that it retains the original ramrod is quite surprising, to me.
The touch hole appears to have a vent cut into the face of the breech plug, rather than just ahead of the breech plug face.
The inside of the barrel is pitted but I ran several patches down it and they came out with light brown discolor from mild surface rust. I am attaching a couple of not very good bore pics.
I understand it was part of an estate sale down in Texas, from where it came to me. Seller had no info about iit other than that.
Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 04:36:37 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 04:32:11 AM »
The frizzen looks like it was re-soled. If the lock was fired to the extent that the frizzen would needed to be re-soled, wouldn't the pistol show a lot more wear?

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 04:44:49 AM »
The upper pistol in this photo is one by Ezekiel Baker that has had its frizzen refaced. It does not show much wear at all on it. It probably has more to do with the thickness of the case.

Mike

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 06:00:10 AM »
It is definitely old, I'd say late eighteenth century. And I say likely English.
Didn't English flintlocks of the period have rounder pans? This one is squared, like French or German.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 07:13:43 AM »
Your are right, Bob, the pan and the lock look very continental, as does the side plate. The butt cap also has a Euro appearance. Good gun and a nice find.
Dick