Author Topic: Indian Trade Gun kit by Pedersoli  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Grischi

• Youtube: 'Ist das Kunst oder kann das weg?'
Indian Trade Gun kit by Pedersoli
« on: July 18, 2022, 08:52:52 PM »
Recently I built a Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket kit literally at the kitchen table.
When ordering the kit I had no option for the wood and I was surprised what a nice piece of walnut Pedersoli had sent to me. The stock came with a nice amount of curl. I Didn't expect that from walnut.
The overall fit of the parts was very good. The stock needed the expected amount of rasping and sanding as usual for those kits.
Building the kit I fixed an issue with the ramrod pipes and modified and inleted the side plate (posted about this here a couple of days ago)
I smoothed the edges of the trigger guard and reshaped the front end of the stock slightly.
The barrel has been browned with Dangler's Barrel Brown, the trigger guard has been treated with Birchwood Casey's Plum Brown and the brass parts with their Brass Black.
To have a dark finish with clearly visible curl I decided to apply aqua fortis and after heating it and the first coat of oil the reuslts looked promising. Just had to rub the stock with a fine scotch brite pad and I acieved the desired contrast. After that about 4 more coats of oil and it was done.
Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Christian

The kit out of the box, the wood moistured to reveal the figure:

The smoothed trigger guard:

The inletted side plate and the lock side of the stock:

Staining of the stock with aqua fortis:

Browning the metal parts:

The finished gun:

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 03:09:00 PM by Grischi »

Offline Grischi

Re: Indian Trade Gun kit by Pedersoli
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 05:21:55 PM »
Short presentation of the gun on my YT- channel:

Christian

Offline elkhart

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 12:36:37 AM »
Beautiful gun, one to be proud of! Looking forward to the range report.

Offline Grischi

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 05:40:08 AM »
Beautiful gun, one to be proud of! Looking forward to the range report.

Thank you.

First I have to admit, that I'm not the best shooter. In my hands even a tack driver turns into a watering can anyhow.  ;)
I've been at the range with the musket twice. With round balls I had just two thirds of the shots at the paper target at 55 yards. I'm still not used to the missing rear sight. On the second occation I attended a local clay target competition and did quite well. I managed to hit 16 out of 25 targets, as much as the best cap gun shooter did that day.
Load data:
paper target: 60 gr 3f swiss powder, .60 round ball with 0.15 lubed patch
clay targets: 60 gr 3f swiss powder, 6 mm thick felt wad, 1 oz of shot (dia 2.4 mm)

Christian

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 08:06:38 PM »
Yes, you did a great job finishing that trade musket. And what a piece of walnut! What do you think of the lock and trigger? Does it eat flint? I have heard Pedersoli sometimes has trouble getting frizzens to proper hardness.

Offline Grischi

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 09:13:34 PM »
Yes, you did a great job finishing that trade musket. And what a piece of walnut! What do you think of the lock and trigger? Does it eat flint? I have heard Pedersoli sometimes has trouble getting frizzens to proper hardness.

Thank you.
Well, the lock works, not as quick as my Kibler's kettland lock but for clay targets it's ok. The trigger pull is acceptable not that heavy as I have heard from other shooters, don't need two fingers :-). For the flints - I have the best results with english flints but even they get dull after about 15 shots and need to be knapped.

Christian

Offline Preacher Dave

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 09:20:25 AM »
You did a good job with this kit Christian. I am surprised, too, at the quality of the walnut that was supplied. It will take some practice adjusting to no rear sight.

Offline Grischi

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 09:47:09 AM »
You did a good job with this kit Christian. I am surprised, too, at the quality of the walnut that was supplied. It will take some practice adjusting to no rear sight.

Thank you.
Meanwhile I had a few more opportunities to shoot it with round balls as well as with shot. And I decided to use it for clay targets only. For paper targets I'll take my other flinters. Luckily, I have the "luxury problem" to choose from a total of 4 of them.

Christian
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 04:33:33 PM by Grischi »

Offline Cherrybow

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 04:22:46 PM »
Wow! Thanks for showing us this. I wasn’t aware of this kit being available. It hasn’t been advertised much. They need to put adds in Muzzleloader magazine and get more exposure in the forums. Beautiful gun and nice job completing it!