Author Topic: Track's Northwest Trade Gun Kit  (Read 1794 times)

Offline bluenoser

Track's Northwest Trade Gun Kit
« on: November 13, 2022, 01:01:28 AM »
A friend just purchased one of Track's Northwest Trade Gun kits at auction and guess who has been tasked to build it.  The kit dates to about 2006 and is as received from Track.  He did get it at an exceptionally good price.  I just got my first peek at it and would like to know who produced some of the parts.
I know the lock is a Davis Tryon - that was pretty easy.
The 42" - 62 cal. barrel doesn't have a mark on it.  The exterior is quite highly polished and I think the bore is will turn out to be reasonably well finished.  It is considerably thicker at the muzzle than I would have liked to see.  Any idea who made these barrels?
At first glance, the pre-inlet walnut stock appears to to have been reasonably well done except for the barrel inlet having been cut quite a bit over size in the breech area.  Fairly thick (approx. 1/16") filler strips have been glued onto each side of the rear 12" or so of the inlet.  It is what it is and the fillers will not show when it is completed.  I suspect the entire inlet was cut for a round barrel and the fillers glued in to accommodate the octagon and 16-sided portions.  Track's paperwork suggests the stock was made by someone with the first name of Allen.  Does anyone know who the maker would have been?
Before someone posts the warning, I am well aware of the potential pitfalls of working with a pre-inlet stock.
Thanks

Offline bigsmoke

Re: Track's Northwest Trade Gun Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 01:08:07 AM »
I hope this isn't too obvious, but the simplest way to get information on this would be to call Track directly and ask them.
I believe you can easily get their phone number by Googling them.

John (Bigsmoke)

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 01:22:40 AM »
I am well aware that I could do that, but am not so sure that is the simplest way - especially at 6:16 PM on a Saturday evening and for a sixteen year old kit.  Quite frankly, it is of no importance.  I would just like to know.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 01:53:54 AM »
I think Track has bought stocks from more than one stock maker so exact dimensions might vary from one maker to another. Their phone number should be on their web site so a call on Monday PM might give you a clue as to maker.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 07:08:22 PM »
  If the barrel is octagon at breech. Then tapered octagon (12) sided about 8 inches from the regular octagon section it is probably made by Coleraine barrel company..

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 06:31:55 PM »
Thanks OT
I will take a close look the next time I have access to the barrel - which will probably be when I am ready to start the build.  The curiosity regarding origin set in after the owner returned home with the parts and I did not have the foresight to take pics.  The following is based on memory, which tends to be a chancy thing these days.
I recall the breech section being octagon, followed by a single wide wedding band, followed by a shorter 16-sided section, followed by a narrow triple (?) wedding band and then the round section.  I would NOT put money on that :-[.  The wide wedding band might be a figment of my imagination.  I was somewhat concerned about the lack of markings and suspected it just MIGHT be an import.

One thing that really impressed me is that the contour of the forward wedding band is actually in the barrel inlet.  I will be surprised if any of that - other than the upper edges - survives final inletting.  There is also the possibility the barrel will need to be set back.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:36:03 PM by bluenoser »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 06:53:21 PM »
There were 2 different barrels used. One was a lot thicker than the other. Not sure which one was the Coleraine or if both were.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 06:58:16 PM »
Thanks Daryl,
Based on the wall thickness at the muzzle, I would say this is the thicker of the two.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 02:40:35 PM »
I believe when some barrel makers sell someone unbreeched barrels they will send them without their makers mark for liability reasons.  TOW is probably the one who breeched the barrel. A friend of mine bought some unbreeched barrels bored smooth so he could rifle them himself from our current famous barrel maker that most people use nowadays, and they were not marked with the usual makers name or caliber. Of course, maybe the main reason they were unmarked is that the maker didn't want future buyers of the rifles to think he rifled them.

Bob

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 04:36:32 PM »
As it turns out, the owner did contact Track WRT the barrel and stock and was told both were made for Track by undisclosed US-based manufacturers and had nothing more to add - end of story.  He did send me a pic of the barrel and I was more than a little off base in my description.  I will post a pic later and perhaps someone will recognize the profile.  I wonder if we ever discovered who these "undisclosed" manufacturers were/are.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 07:39:11 PM »
Here is a pic of that 42" barrel.  It doesn't exactly match my earlier description.

Offline FALout

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 02:00:37 PM »
Having used Tracks stuff for years, I’ll guess that suppliers changed on the barrels and the stocks they had on hand weren’t prepped for these barrels so they glued in the wood to fill in the space.  I believe Pecatonica most likely made that stock for Track but had nothing to do with what they did to it.  You’ll just have to make it work if your gonna build it into something.  By your comment about setting barrel back, I assume the lock prep has already been done.
Bob

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »
I suspected Pecatonica might be the most likely source of the stock and FALout's suggestion regarding the filler strips makes perfect sense.  The fillers are not a problem and should not be visible when the job is done.  The rough inlet for the lock has already been done and it remains to be seen how the rough inlet for the barrel will line up with the pan.  At this point, I have only briefly looked the kit over.