Author Topic: Fusil de Chasse - Kit  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Hood

• Starting Member
Fusil de Chasse - Kit
« on: November 20, 2022, 02:09:45 AM »
In your experience, who makes a good Fusil kit? I'm more interested in one that is closer to "in the white" then not.

Thanks

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Re: Fusil de Chasse - Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 03:45:27 AM »
I have built two Fusil de Chasse kit guns from Pecatonica River. They were pretty easy though the trigger plate was a challenge. (I have a thread on this somewhere here) I really like mine (one was sold). It has an L&R lock which is fast but I am told it's historically incorrect. Probably most of the furniture is historically incorrect as well, but I still like it. A lot.
I also built a French Trade Gun kit (Type "D" fusil) sold by Clay Smith. The Black Walnut stock and the lock are from Larry Zornes. I really liked this build and it was a sweet gun to shoot. Fast and lighter than the Pecatonica.
Below are some photos of both kits, before-and-after, and of them together for comparison.
Hope this helps.

instagram download your own photos

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 05:03:19 AM »
If by “good” you mean a sturdy functioning firearm, then most of available kits will do. If by “good” you mean an accurate (or nearly so) copy, then you are going to have to seek a different route.
Psalms 144

Offline Hood

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 04:39:50 PM »
Thanks! That information does help.

I'm not too concerned with it being historically correct. More concerned about the difficulty of the build and the quality of the kit.

Thanks again!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 06:20:56 PM »
Thanks! That information does help.

I'm not too concerned with it being historically correct. More concerned about the difficulty of the build and the quality of the kit.

Thanks again!
To be honest, most of the available kits bring their own challenges to the table. If you are concerned with ease of build, then look into one of the Kibler offerings. Minor wood fitting, some metal polishing and stock finishing and you got a great rifle that is architecturally correct and will be a joy to use. If on the other hand, you are a handy type of person and are familiar with hand tools, or willing to learn, then order on of the kits and enjoy the sometimes frustrating journey.
Psalms 144

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 04:31:06 PM »
Can anyone comment on the R.E. Davis kit ? 

Offline geb324

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 06:55:38 PM »
Built one years ago from Track of the Wolf went together great. I dont believe they offer
it any longer supply issues. I would go with Clay Smith looks like a great kit from him. Only challenge may be
soldering on the lugs no big deal if you take your time.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 11:24:21 PM »
Clay can solder them for a nominal fee (as can Pecatonica).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 01:29:23 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 01:07:13 AM »
Can anyone comment on the R.E. Davis kit ?

As I recall, Taylor commented on that kit in another post some time ago.  Perhaps he could give you some input on their kit.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer