Author Topic: The Trade Muskets or Northwest Guns.  (Read 1866 times)

Offline alyce-james

The Trade Muskets or Northwest Guns.
« on: December 16, 2022, 08:29:15 PM »
"The Trade Muskets or Northwest Guns. Whately, 1770 Barnett 1830". By Pryor Mt. Bill Newton. First Edition 1984 Second Edition 1992. Workshop manual. History, Pattern, Method. Written and Published by Bill Newton. Content: Side plate details. 1) Queen Doglock 1707 2) European 3) Colonial 4) Trade gun.Trigger Guards 1) large Bow 2) Later style guard. List of gun makers of the time period. 1) Birmingham 2) London 3)Belgium 4) American. Tool page. Building notes and diagrams to assist from scratch build. Print scale; 1 to 1. 36 pages. I Think a print of the Whatley ,1770 and the Barnett 1830 came with this book. I've seen both the book and the prints, but never together.

Selected "Muzzleloading Gun Lock Patterns". Copyright 1992 By Pryor Mt, Bill Newton. One of (24) including examples, and suggestion, of building each lock.Each exploded diagram shows parts completely illustrated. 25 pages. The Booklets listed below back in the 1990's were listed as pending. I've been unable to locate any of them. 1) What they Bore --- What they Wore. 2) The Fur Trade of North America. 3) John Colter 4) My travels with Lewis and Clark. 5) Young Readers Guide To Antique Firearms. By Pryor Mt. Bill Newton. Y'all have a great week end. AJ.                                                   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:18:44 AM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline elkhart

Re: The Trade Muskets or Northwest Guns.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »
I have the first one, with plans. Good book. Building a NW from the plans is on that long list of things I want to do.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 05:14:11 PM »
  I'm currently finishing up a trade gun. Very fun project and very practical gun to use....

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 07:16:04 PM »
elkhart; Sir. Which Trade gun are you planning to build. The Whately 1770's or the Barnett 1830 ? I'm liken the Whately. Thanks for sharing. Have a Marry Christmas. AJ.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 07:21:48 PM »
oldtravier61; Sir, when you finish the trade gun, I would like to see the finish product. Have a MARRY  CHRISTMAS. AJ.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 12:46:41 AM »
  I'll p.m. you some picture's. It's my first time building one. What surprised me is their are so many variations for such a basic style gun..Have a Merry Christmas also..!

Offline elkhart

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 05:15:40 PM »
elkhart; Sir. Which Trade gun are you planning to build. The Whately 1770's or the Barnett 1830 ? I'm liken the Whately. Thanks for sharing. Have a Marry Christmas. AJ.

I'm not sure. I have a North Star West trade gun, so maybe an earlier Whately. I love the trade guns, they are do-all guns. Merry Christmas!

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 09:09:09 PM »
 If you are going to replicate a Whately trade gun you will pretty much have to make all your hardware except the lock, and barrel.

Hungry Horse

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 12:46:47 AM »
If you are going to replicate a Whately trade gun you will pretty much have to make all your hardware except the lock, and barrel.

Hungry Horse
You will have to heavily modify the lock as well
Psalms 144