Author Topic: New life for an old gun  (Read 968 times)

Offline Jim Curlee

New life for an old gun
« on: January 03, 2023, 09:00:24 PM »
I went to an auction back in the 80s with the expectations of buying a wood-canvas canoe.
Turned out I didn't have enough coin for the canoe but hidden under a pile of junk on a hayrack was a box with a Sharon Trade Rifle kit, and a couple of primitive powderhorns.
I bought it, took the kit home built it, and used it for years.
One day RudyC, gave me a piece of fiddleback, which I turned into a stock, not the best work, but the best I could do at the time.
She's been that way for quite awhile.

This fall I was carrying the old Sharon during muzzleloader deer season, and since I wasn't seein any deer, I got to thinkin about doin a face lift on the old gun.
So, one day after huntin, I stopped at my shipping container, and picked out a piece of homesawed Walnut.

I'd bring the rifle home from huntin, pull a piece of the gun, inlet it, and then put the part back, so I could hunt the next day. LOL
This has been goin on since early December, I have finally finished my stock, well maybe a couple more coats of finish. lol
I didn't follow any "school" other than to make my stock fit the parts I had.

Now I've decided to re-brown all of the metal parts, finished gun pics in I don't know maybe a month. LOL

Jim

Offline Daryl

Re: New life for an old gun
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 12:26:19 AM »
Good looking stock, Jim. I like the sweep on that cheek-piece.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jim Curlee

Re: New life for an old gun
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 01:03:26 AM »
Daryl;

That's the curly sweep, my specialty. LOL
You accomplish that by using abrasive technologies', in layman's terms, hand-sanding. LOL

Thanks
Jim